Prevent accidental changes to Zotero references?

I am using Zotero to cite literature. Doing so, I noticed that I frequently by accident change the content of a field, which goes unnoticed for long, as I prefer to disable field highlighting while writing. When something then finally triggers a refresh, I am confronted with plenty of instances of a pattern where instead of

I get

i.e., something in the editing process caused the cursor to be in the field instead of after it. Upon refreshing Zotero data I will be given the choice to either change it back to the original form (“No”), or decouple the reference, causing it to not be updated in the future either (“Yes”):

Is it possible to make such accidental edits impossible? I already tried Tools > Protect Document > Protect Fields, which had no effect on this.

Update. Upon closer inspection, it turns out that Zotero inserts not a field, but something like a bookmark. The highlighting makes it look like a field, but it is not, which probably is why “Protect Fields” does not affect it.

Update. Related discussions:
Paragraphs keep ending up inside citations with LibreOffice plug-in - Zotero Forums.
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=81720

I’m afraid you can’t: there is no function to “freeze” a field usage (which would not make sense form Writer operations point of view).

In addition, Zotero is not well integrated with Writer (it is a “universally” portable addition which goes much beyond inserting bibliography references because it is a full-fledged bibliography database management application). It works through a large set of macros which create havoc in ODF by adding direct formatting. Moreover these macros break the styling you could have applied to your references.

See update of my question: For fields the option works, but Zotero does not actually insert fields, just something that happens to have the same highlighting applied. I checked it more closely (including looking at the XML contents) after reading your answer:

<text:p text:style-name="P1">
    <text:span text:style-name="T1">According to </text:span>
<!-- START OF THE CITATION PART -->
    <text:reference-mark-start text:name="ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION..."/>
    <text:span text:style-name="T1">[#somereference]</text:span>
    <text:reference-mark-end text:name="ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION.../>
<!-- END OF THE CITATION PART -->
    <text:span text:style-name="T1">, I need to do </text:span>
    <text:span text:style-name="T2">s</text:span>
    <text:span text:style-name="T1">ome stuff.</text:span>
  </text:p>

Abbreviated, the text:name is really long.

tdf#81720 has been finally fixed in 7.6, I’ve just added it to the release notes.