Problem with boost version

I have just installed libreoffice from apt-get in ubuntu.

When I try to run Calc, I don’t get any window to appear. In /var/log/syslog I see the message:

libreoffice-calc.desktop[39749]: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error w
hile loading shared libraries: libboost_locale.so.1.71.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or d
irectory

If I do ldd on soffice.bin, then I get the messages:

ldd /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin | grep boost

libboost_locale.so.1.71.0 => not found|
libboost_filesystem.so.1.71.0 => not found|
libboost_iostreams.so.1.71.0 => not found|
libboost_filesystem.so.1.71.0 => not found|

Searching under /usr/local/lib, I see the boost libraries are all 1.77:

/usr/local/lib$ ls -1 libboost_locale* libboost_filesystem* libboost_iostreams*
libboost_filesystem.a
libboost_filesystem.so
libboost_filesystem.so.1.77.0
libboost_iostreams.a
libboost_iostreams.so
libboost_iostreams.so.1.77.0
libboost_locale.a
libboost_locale.so
libboost_locale.so.1.77.0

(The un-versioned .so files are all symbolic links into the corresponding 1.77 files.)

Is there some way to get LibreOffice to understand that I have version 1.77 and not 1.71 ?

Many thanks!

The LibreOffice version you installed wasn’t built for the Ubuntu version you have. Ask your friendly Ubuntu package maintainer.
You and LibreOffice seem to be not alone with that Ubuntu libboost_filesystem.so.1.71.0: cannot open shared object file at DuckDuckGo .

Got it, looks super complicated, and I actually didn’t see that the requester was able to resolve the issue… I’ll probably do a workaround. Openoffice works fine in my ubuntu, though I think Libre is better. And I’ll make a fresh ubuntu under Virtualbox for those times when I need Libre.

Don’t know what you’re referring with “didn’t see that the requester was able to resolve the issue”… nor why Ubuntu is such a mess. Anyway, you can always install a LibreOffice build provided by TDF, Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft