Problem with non-contiguous Bargraph data

I have no problem making a bar graph when the columns are contiguous. A-Months, B-Income, C-Expenses, D-Assets. The month names are on the X-axis bottom, a currency scale is y-axis on left and i get 3 colour-coded bars for each month.

But when they are spread out on a much larger spreadsheet, problems.
A4-A15 months
K4-K15 income
K34-K45 expenses
B55-B66 assets
When I Ctl-SELECT the 4 areas, the bar graph created is screwed up.
I get a garbled characters on x-axis. Just Column A in Legend and 3 set of columns with 4, 5, and 5 bars in them. Those are the number of months with data.The 1st set with 4 column is Assets. The next two are Income and Expenses. The Create Bargraph wizard is reading columns in wrong order. Not left to right at least. See screen snip.

snip

here is how is should be. imgur image

Hello,

you can’t use the chart wizard the default way, if you got non-contiguous data. You need to explicitly tell which data are data and which column is to be used for the category. To do so:

• Do not select anything in advance
  • Insert -> Chart and select chart type Column
  • Click button Next
  • Click button Next (yes leave Data Range for now)
  • [Start] Click button Add to add a Data Series ( “Series” appears in the panel labelled Data Series)
  • Select/Click on “Series” and “Y-Values” in right pane
  • Select the series 1 (e.g K4:K15) using the icon rightmost
  • Select “Categories” and select range A4:A15 again using the icon rightmost
  • Optional Select/Click on “Name” in right pane
  • Optional Select “Range for Name” and select a cell containg a Name (i.e “Income” for Data Series)
  • [End] Repeat from [Start] for the other two ranges (i.e K34:K45 (Expenses) and B55:B66 (Assets)

Finally you have:

See also the following sample file: Chart-NonContiguousRanges.ods

Tested using LibreOffice

Version: 7.0.4.2, Build ID: dcf040e67528d9187c66b2379df5ea4407429775
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: kf5
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US, Calc: threaded

Hope that helps.

Yes the only problems i had was getting back into editing mode after hitting return :frowning: I had to delete the bargraph 3 times due to that :frowning: But finally i made an error free configuration. Thank you very much for your tutorial :slight_smile: How do i indicate your answer
was the answer?

How do i indicate your answer was the answer?

click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer

thank you again