Problems with spell checker

I downloaded Libre Office to my two computers, the first is a Dell and the spell checker works, the second is a ASUS
laptop and the spell checker is not working (spelling (None)). How do I turn on the spell checker to make it work on the ASUS ??? Thank you

If I start a new doc the spell checker does not work. But I imported an existing doc from my Dell and the spell checker shows up. New to Libre so I am just learning. Thank you for any help.

the ASUS runs on Windows 10 and I right clicked in the desktop and selected New - odt file. If I start a new doc how should I do it so that I get the spell check feature ??? I am a poor speller so I need the checker, Thanks

The fact that they are two different computers is not very relevant. Much more would be the OS names and LO versions. Have you somehow configure the computers (and perhaps slightly differently)? Did you check on the same existing document?

Please do not use Add Answer but edit your original question to enhance the details of your question (answers are reserved for solutions to a problem on this Q&A site).

Maybe the ASUS runs on Windows and you right clicked in the desktop and selected New - odt file. If so, that explains your problem. Windows builds an odt file with a faulty template that doesn’t allow you to set a language for your text…

Set the Default Language for Documents in LibreOffice. In Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages > Default Languages for documents > Western make sure you choose an English language version with a green tick (has spell check) next to it. Cheers, Al

The ASUS runs on Windows and you right clicked in the desktop and selected New - odt file. That explains your problem. Windows builds an odt file with a faulty template that doesn’t allow you to set a language for your text. To get a working file, start Writer or LO and then start a new Writer file.

To show the community that your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers.

Nice catch! (but note that opening a Text file is expected to select the default language, so still strange that it behaves that way).

Note that in upcoming version 7.1 this is changed (tdf#123476). Now empty files are opened according to their extensions.

Recurring problem in Apache OpenOffice, I thought it might work as well (or as badly) in LibreOffice.