Processing Speed

A conundrum for the Gurus.

If I open LoCALC and simply set the page format to A4 with all the default margins CALC then produces a marquee defining the print area.

I fi focus the first cell in row 1 outside the marquee and then select all cells to the right with CTRL+SHFT+RIGHT and then “HIDE” the columns using the context menu, the process is instantaneous.

If I then focus the first cell in column A outside the marquee and select all the cells to the bottom and “HIDE” the rows using the context menu, the process takes 4 minutes plus.

If I reverse the processes using the toolbar button, the inference is that I’m undoing row height/column width changes and the process is also instantaneous for both UNDOs.

However;

If I select the columns and >Data>Group and Outline>Group them, then use the control button to hide them, the process is still instantaneous.

If I select the rows and >Data>Group and Outline>Group them then use the control button to hide them, the process is AGAIN instantaneous.

The UNDO button now infers that I’m undoing “Hide details”.

My questions:
Why is “Hide” claiming to be adjusting the width/height metrics of the column or row, whereas “Group” is claiming to be adjusting the “Hide” characteristics of the related columns/rows?

Why is one process far more efficient when operating on columns than when operating on rows?

Wouldn’t it be a little more productive to utilise the same procedures for both operations?

Does any of the above constitute a bug report?

Sorry, I have to ask again: does it take more than 4 minutes to select the range A54: A1048576 and choose Format - Rows - Hide? And on other machines? And with a reset user profile? Are there some (poorly optimized) macros that handle sheet events in this spreadsheet (or in LibreOffice Calc)?

No Sorry, Selection is instantaneous - it’s the hide process taking four+ minutes.
No Macros in use anywhere. One extension - Power Detective
i5 3.4Ghz with 8GB RAM
After submitting the note here I then thought I’d try filling all the cells with a single character “A” via cut and paste special “everywhere”.
It “froze” the computer in as far as the clock stopped and jumped every couple of minutes and no access to task manager. I could only kill the machine with the power button so I was “blind” for 20 minutes plus.
I’ve just started another PC of identical configuration to try filling everything with “A” and will report on the progress later.

Please also inform the office version and operating system. The fact is that before asking again, I ran all your tests on my computer and did not notice any abnormal delays.

I think it is already reported Calc: Delete Column and further Insert and Delete never instant but considerably slower from LO 7.2

Version: 7.2.0.4 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 9a9c6381e3f7a62afc1329bd359cc48accb6435b
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19042; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: sv-SE (en_GB); UI: en-GB
Calc: threaded

@mariosv I think they could be related but there’s a massive difference in magnitude. Also, my sheet is empty I was simply trying to limit the screen display to show only the A4 representation.
My hiding and unhiding identified a significant difference between column & row HIDE but column & Row GROUPING and “concealing” with teh activating “tab” is instantaneous for both columns and rows.
I currently have another machine running v6.2 and simply trying to fill every cell with the character “A” is still running.
Update - it crashed with a fatal error - bad allocation. Task Manager claimed LO was consuming the remaining memory over 5GB & 100%Disk Activity

Are you seriously trying to fill a billion cells and expecting to not run into swapping or doomed memory without a ton of RAM?

@erack I wasn’t sure how much memory a billion characters required. I assumed if each character was a byte and no formulae links to resolve then 1 Gigabyte of free RAM would be sufficient. As I have 8 of them on my box I thought it might just work.
My plan was simply to see if trying to nominally populate the cells had any appreciable difference on the “hide” performance.
I don’t think it was a memory issue - I observed from Task Manager that system interrupts were consuming all the processor availability and there was no disk activity whatever. I’m beginning to suspect that LO can’t reallý cope with a matrix of that size.

You are contradicting yourself.

A bad allocation is exactly that, out of memory (and swap space).

Is this version on both computers where you did the experiment? (just for information - I have hiding rows for 7.1.3.2 (x64) Windows 7 is performed instantly, for 7.2.0.4 (x64) Windows 10 Pro - 25 seconds)

@JohnSUN
I just discovered something which will prompt me to run a few more tests.
I have four Optiplex 7010s which have been “linked” together for two years using a microsoft product “mouse without borders” to allow me to use one mouse on all the boxes and move between the array of screens. I stopped using that in favour of auto connection via team viewer and reduced the screen count to two monitors on the “master”.
While I was conducting more experiments with task manager open, I noticed Mouse Without Borders suddenly jumped to using over 2.5GB of RAM. I suspect it monitors something in case I want to “push it to another box”
I think my mouse is probably a killer rat. Disabling it as we speak.
I suspect erAck has flagged my post so if you’re interested any further in my experiences then perhaps a DM.
In any event - thanks for your interest.