Protect sheet options

Hi all,

I ran into an issue while collaborating on a spreadsheet:
On protecting a sheet in Excel, permission can be given on each of these points:

• Select locked cells
  • Select unlocked cells
  • format cells
  • format columns
  • format rows
  • insert columns
  • insert rows
  • insert hyperlinks
  • delete columns
  • delete rows
  • sort
  • use autofilter
  • use pivot table reports
  • edit objects
  • edit scenarios

in LibreOffice-calc, only

• Select locked cells
  • Select unlocked cells
  • insert columns
  • insert rows
  • delete columns
  • delete rows
    are possible

This issue was addressed in
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=71468
(on the ancestor :slight_smile: ) but it is not clear whether it was really ever actually solved, or whether there is a viable workaround. In my collaboration context, the autofilter and the sort permission are problematic.

A hint, anyone? (getting rid of my colleagues is not an option :slight_smile: , nor is migrating them away from Excel :frowning: )

Best regards,

Peter

It is absolutely clear that it has never been solved: its status is ACCEPTED (“yes we agree that this is a problem in the program”), not “FIXED” or at least “WORKSFORME”, which are for fixed issues.

Also note how the set of options was expanded in LibreOffice compared to AOO:

But anyway, please file an enhancement request to the bug tracker of this project, to express your requirements.

Thx, that’s what I feared … I just hoped that given the long time that this was active (2006-2017) that I missed the fix somehow :slight_smile:

Just curious, is there any particular reason for this xl-lo discrepancy? There seem to be (have been?) some issues with the odf file format related to this? Or is it just not high enough on the list ? Or is it my colleagues that need an education :-0 ?
I’ll open a request

Thanks,

Peter

There is always only one reason for such things: nobody implemented something. And you need someone to care about this particular thing, to have it implemented; developers only implement what they are interested in, or what their customers ask them. :slight_smile: When I find something interesting, or when I’m required to do something at work, I write the code :wink: (and no, this is not something I have spare cycles to do. Filing a request on the bug tracker is the only correct thing here, giving a chance to find an interested developer.)

Bug report submitted: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=147034

Regards,

Peter