Query One to Many Relationship in Libreoffice Base

I have the two tables: Hazardous events and controls.

Each hazardous event has up to 3 controls and I have defined relationships between each of the 3 controls in the hazardous event table with the controls table.

When I try do a query for each control for the hazardous event, it only links one of the controls

Is there a way to have the query check each control and output the risk reduction associated with each control for each hazardous event?

I am aware you can do this with Joins but I can only do this if I connect to a MySQL server to my understanding.

Thanks
Best Regards

No, you can use joins, if the connected database can execute them. So with a connected dbase or csv it is not possible.
As Base is not able to understand the joins, you need to switch to direct mode in SQL-query editor (rightmost icon). Base is only a front-end and connector. But you can use the full power of your choosen database with SQL.

Your design looks not typical for databases. I’d expect perhaps a table to handle n:m-relation between hazard and controls. So someting like a table

HazardId, ControlId, RiskReduction

With your design you may need UNION to combine the three SELECT-statements for control1,2,3 and you should be very sure you never need a fourth “control”.

Hi,

Yea, after thinking about it some more, I think setting it up in excel actually works better for my case. Thanks for the help anyway

If you have a problem with a database, then no, but if you only reproduce a paper form then a spreadsheet can be sufficient. Good luck.

Ok, your intention was
Relationship
good! But you have to reconsider how to create your file.

Here’s an example.

Hazardous events test.odb (12.6 KB)

Not quite what my intention was, the goal was to have multiple controls per hazard and apply these together for a given hazard. So i want the query to effectively generate a list of all the controls attached to a hazard.

I showed you the way… and did rectify your schemes.
Nobody impeaches you to group control types in the risk reduction field.
one hazard with multiple controls