Question: Is it possible to lookup images in Calc?

Hi All :slight_smile:

Is it possible to lookup images in Calc, like shown in the following video?
How to Use Excel’s NEW Lookup of Images

Thank you very much in advance.

Can my Tesla growl like that biker’s Harley-Davidson motorcycle?

1 Like

Well, maybe it can - You can now pick your own EV exhaust sound | CarExpert

2 Likes

LibreOffice Base can do that.

I’m glad that you replied, because I read your Base workaround @Villeroy
https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/embed-picture-to-cell-libreoffice-calc/67580/12

But honestly, I had never opened Base before, and I couldn’t make it work.
So I’ll put in a comment there.

Well, any kind of photo album software keeps some kind of database with dates, keywords, categories, events etc. related to pictures.
My photo album on Linux is “Shotwell”. It keeps an SQLite database which can be connected to LibreOffice through a Base document. This way I can integrate all my pictures in LibreOffice while managing the picture portfolio in a dedicated application. A Base report with selected pictures looks way better than any Excel sheet.

1 Like

In short: No you can’t. If you wish to have Excel, buy or lease it.
But let’s look at the shown problem of a typical? user of Excel, who finds a random picture in his sheet and needs to use a lookup to get to the other information in that row…
The main problem in Calc is pictures not being in the cell, but being attached to the cell. So the value of the cell can be something different. This also implies, you can not use the picture in any VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP/XLOOKUP. But, if you put something unique to the picture, like an URL to the file or a hash in the cell, a lookup will be possible. But you have to manage this “relation” yourself.
Actually I’m solving a bigger version of the little question above with LibreOffice: When was this picture used in several projects over the last 10 years with a bunch of 80.000 photos, and give me the photographer, resolution and colour-model for it. But I’m using Base. Let’s remember, Excel has to solve a lot of database stuff, as Access is not part of the bought package, while Base is always included in LibreOffice.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your elaborate answer, @Wanderer :wink:

Before posting my question I had read the replies of this question from Sept '21
Embed Picture to Cell LibreOffice Calc
But I was wondering since it’s new in Excel and technologies change (sometimes rapidly) and the question was from more than 2 years ago, if something in Calc had changed that would make it possible.

Thanks for enlighten me :bulb: