Read only content cannot be changed, no modifications will be accepted

Just in case somebody else comes here looking for a solution, like I have, this worked for me:

I selected the text I wanted to delete (but was getting this error), and Selected Format > Clear Direct Formatting. Then I was able to press the Delete key and this time the selected text was successfully deleted.

In my scenario, I had a footer that said for example, Page 2 of 1
I couldn’t delete the 1 to replace with the field PageCount (which it originally was - I don’t know how it got wrong, nor how it got locked). It may originally have been a Word document. I do always save my documents as Microsoft Word 2007-2013 XML (.docx)

Got this error message in LO 5.4.2.2 in Ubuntu 17.04.
In my case, it also said “read only” in the status bar at the bottom of the screen.

Solution: uncheck the following option
Tools / Options / LibreOffice Writer / Compatibility / Protect form

All other solutions failed for me.

I had the same error in a document converted from Word. This was the only solution that worked for me too.

On the mac,
you will find “protected form” under menu:
LibreOffice → Preferences → LibreOffice Writer → Compatibility
uncheck “protected form” and you should be able to work on the document again.

I found a solution for this problem. This happened to a particular cell while I was editing a table. I could get rid of it changing the size of the cell. I grabbed the top edge of the cell and dragged it down, and then I could edit it again. I don’t know if it will work for you, but it did for me. Nothing else did work, except for changing the size of the cell. I hope it works for you too. OBS. This happened between one page and another. I dragged the top edge down until the cell dropped to the next page.

Go to Tools > Options > LibreOffice Writer > Formatting Aids and under Protected Areas, uncheck Enable cursor.