Reappearance of print orientation issue

There are a number of questions from 2017 and 2018 reporting the issue of printing oriented landscape even though all settings are portrait and the print preview shows correctly as portrait in some reports. Examples: Printing page orientation wrong in OS X, Printing page orientation wrong in OS X, Page rotation Wrong on Print (Mac), Incorrect orientation for printing. The reports were for OSX with LO releases early in the 5 series. There was a bug report (https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92190) that verified that the problem had been fixed in versions 5.4.4 and 6.0.0, and requesting that a new case be created if the problem reappeared.

I’ve encountered the problem for the first time, in version 6.1.5.2 in Linux (the version maintained in the MX Linux repo), using LibreOffice Calc.

Symptoms: Page settings are portrait (letter-size). Page break lines on the displayed spreadsheet grid are correctly portrait. Print preview is correctly portrait. Exporting to PDF produces a correct portrait result (which correctly prints as portrait). However, printing the spreadsheet from within LO produces landscape printer output (properly formatted for a landscape page).

The problem occurred with a spreadsheet modified from a previous landscape spreadsheet. I started with an existing landscape spreadsheet, edited it, changed the page settings to portrait, saved it as a new file, and then tried to print the new file. Other existing files already in portrait are not affected (did not test what happens if a portrait file is changed to landscape). Existing portrait files in LO Writer are not affected.

So to be more specific, the problem appears to be that the print format routine does not properly recognize current portrait settings when they have been modified from a landscape-oriented file.

I’ve encountered the problem for the first time, in version 6.1.5.2 in Linux

Definitely a different issue. That one was absolutely definitely a macOS-specific one, and your needs a new bug report.

But anyway, 6.1 is too old. No one would ever fix anything in 6.x anymore (even 7.0 has already got its last fix). So the usual advise applies: try the latest version (7.1 at this time, and 7.2 soon), to check if the issue persists, before filing. Of course, it might be difficult on your distro (Debian-based), since there might be no newer version in distro’s repos, and trying TDF-provided package is comparing apples to oranges … in which case you might want to file the bug against your distro, and let distro package maintainers triage it for you.

But anyway, 6.1 is too old. No one would ever fix anything in 6.x anymore (even 7.0 has already got its last fix). So the usual advise applies: try the latest version (7.1 at this time, and 7.2 soon)

Mike Kaganski, thanks for the response. The release candidates available in Debian Backports and the MX Test Repo are 7.0.x, which sounds like even those are end-of-life. I installed the LO Flatpak, which is 7.1.5.2. The same file that exhibited the issue works properly in that version, so it looks like a solution.