Referencing cell from one sheet to another in the same document displays only cell reference not contents

I have a spreadsheet with multiple sheets that is intended to take data downloaded in csv format and build up cumulative data over the year. This involves entering links of the form =sheet2.a2 into a cell in sheet1.

This works for numbers, but seems to fail for text, so that in sheet1 I get =sheet2.a2 rather than the contents eg TEXTSTRING.

I’m using Version: 5.0.6.3.

I’ve tried saving the csv file in .ods format before inserting it into the file I’m creating, but it makes no difference.

Ciao, you can control how is your settings about Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc > View > Formulas

If my answer helped you, vote it with :heavy_check_mark: and with ∧ (here on the left)

If some of the formulae are working, the hint by @charlie.it may not apply.
Most likely the cells into which the not working formulae were entered are formatted to the ‘Numbers’ format code “@” (‘Text’). This setting is suppressing the recognition of any formula (as it does for the recognition of numbers). Cells calculating texts by formulae must not be set to the fake format ‘Text’.