REGEX() function -- where can I find more information

Does this only work in 'Writer" or can it be implemented in other LO applications —> Base / Calc / BASIC programming language

New ICU’s Regular Expressions page.

Hello,

REGEX() is a calc function implementing regular expressions according to ICU. See also LibreOffice Help - REGEX().

Note
This is not a BASIC function, but - like all spreadsheet functions - can be accessed via function accesss.

Concerning the usage of REGEX() via FunctionAccess:
Alas! REGEX() is among the few functions using a special variant of optional parameters, in this case the third one, where the omission itself is a relevant information, in this case meaning “Don’t replace anything.”
The parameter hasn’t a default value and cannot have one: Its specified type is String, and a plausible default should therefore be te empty string. We cannot do it this way however, because the parameter in case of not being omitted is used as the replacement for findings.
On the other hand the .callFunction method of the com.sun.star.sheet.FunctionAccess service expects the parameters passed as the elements of a generic Array(), and an omitted element causes an error - as well as a dummy variable of kind Variant/Empty in its place.
Too bad!
Please tell me if you find a solution.
@erAck: You once stated that optional arguments of standard functions will cause a mess. They do.

Yes, possibly only @erAck could comment on this ( @Lupp : do I remember correctly that there was some associated bug report?)

@mikekaganski: I seem to remember that I intended to file one but …
You know, I’m old and slow. Don’t like to fill my days completely with creating bug-reports. There are already 22 of them (the unresolved only).
(Recently I tried to send a mail to you, but the gangsters behind your mail-service provider had “block listed parts of the space” my provider is using. They didn’t tell me reasons I could check for. Many people seem to have such a problem though “they” claim to solve 100% of the related issues. I get in a mood to throw …[something] at them. Do you actually rely on their service? I’m tired not only of reporting bugs, but also of fighting these windmills. Long live digitalzation! Freedom and self-determination aren’t that important.
Would you be so kind to send a short mail to me. I would like to know if the other way still is open.)

You once stated that optional arguments of standard functions will cause a mess. They do.

That is unrelated though. Adding optional parameters to already existing functions is a mess interoperability-wise. Optional parameters per se and even these missing/omitted cases are fine, but the Basic/Calc API can’t cope with the latter in FunctionAccess calls.