Removing Column Formatting [SOLVED]

Hi. I can’t seem to find a way to remove the formatting of columns in Writer. If I set a paragraph or so to, say, 2 columns, it does this fine. I can alter the column number to any number and it works - except when setting it to one. I cannot figure a way to return the column number to a single column. I’ve tried following various steps in various forums, etc, but to no avail. Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Running:
Version: 7.4.6.2 (x64)

Paragraphs don’t have columns, containers like Page, Section, Frame, or Table have columns.

Paragraphs have Tab stops that can be set, but these just define where the tab will break. If there is a tab in the text then it will run to the next available tab stop. You can normally see them if you turn on View > Formatting marks (Ctrl+F10). I have highlighted the tab mark, an arrow.

The tab is part of the text so you can either delete it manually, or use Edit > Find & Replace (Ctrl+H)

• Select the text from which you want to remove the tab characters
  • Click Edit > Find & Replace
    • In Find enter \t
    • In Replace enter a space
    • Tick the box Current selection only
    • Tick the box Regular expressions
  • Click the button Replace All

If it isn’t that then please provide a sample and maybe a screenshot of how you are setting columns

Sorry, I probably didn’t explain the example very well. When I say ‘set the paragraph’, I mean that I select a paragraph and then set the columns to, say, two. I’ll see if I can set up a screen shot or two.

OK. So I’m really confused now. I’ve tried to do this a dozen times in the past in various documents and have not been able to do this (i.e. returning a two-column selection back to a single-column) just as the image suggests. In the past, I would have selected one or more paragraphs, changed the coumn number for that passage, but then decided that it didn’t look right, so tried to revert it back. Unable to do so, I would have to copy and paste it back as a single one.

However, in trying to get a couple of images together, I find that it works fine, and I cannot figure out how to NOT get it to work. Crazy, Eh! Let’s just hope it carries on working in the future.

However, further, how can I remove the section formatting for this paragraph, as, now, changing the columns for all the paragraphs doesn’t affect the column settings for this middle paragraph. (Say, selecting all paragraphs and changing to three-columns would leave the middle paragraph as two. See the second image.) I would have to format this paragraph to the same format as the surrounding ones. It would seem reasonable to be able to remove the ‘section’ and allow the pragraph to be in the same ‘section’ as the surrounding ones. (Not sure if I have made that clear.)

1 Like

Thank you, PKG. You answered this just as I found the answer myself. It’s wonderful how a little playing around can find the answer. If only I’d looked harder before asking :smirk: Thanks anyway. Much appreciation to all.