Rendering problem when editing Writer template

I’ve got a Writer template that has rendering problems. The text is overwriting itself. Here’s an example of the problem:

No matter how many spaces I add after some sentences, the beginning of the next sentence is stacked on top of the end of the previous one.

Other related things happen such as the cursor is displayed at the wrong character on a line.

When I create a document based on the template, there doesn’t seem to be a problem. It’s only when editing the template that the rendering problem manifests.

Thank you.

(edit: activated screenshot)