Reset fixed date field type in writer

I added a fixed date as described on Document (Fields)

To keep a similar look in my documents I usually duplicate an old file. The date is of course still the old fixed value.
The only way I know to reset the fixed date field to the current day is to edit the field type, set the field to the non-fixed date, let the date update and then switch it back to the fixed date type.

I read that you can manually update the Date field by pressing F9. But this does not seem to work on the fixed data field.
Is there a better way to reset the fixed day type to the current day with one click?

Fixed date is intended to update only on creation. Its creation happens, among others, at the moment of file creation from a template. Save your original file as a template, and use it to create new files instead of copy.

2 Likes

A much better way to handle this problem is to create a template document where you record your preferred styles and the initial contents of your documents, including the date field.

When you open a template file, it creates an ordinary .odt document and sets the fields to the current value. This means even though you inserted a fixed date field in the template, this field is updated during the conversion between template and ordinary document. This is one of the magical properties of template files.

For an introduction to templates, read the Writer Guide.

This will spare you the pain to duplicate old documents and erase the specific contents. The common look is conferred by styles. If you aren’t familiar with them, read the chapters in the guide.

2 Likes

I would be even better, if the ‘Fixed Date’ field could just be updated by pressing F9.

Certainly the last thing I want. I use fixed date to show date of article but I frequently update field for cross reference and TOC. I never want to accidentally change the date.
If you want that then just use the non fixed date field

1 Like

If you want to show the date of an article, the best thing to do and not burdensome at all is to write the date physically.

And I could do that with table of contents and cross references too.
There is a field for your use and one for mine, let’s just keep it that way. You use bottom one and I will use the top one.

2 Likes

Fields are also able to adjust their look according to e.g. locale; and so have advantages over manually typed text, that the date can be shown as reader expects.

Ans they can be distinguished and processed by tooling.

And no, this behavior of fixed fields should not change, even if people have strange ideas that “fixed” means something different than fixed.

In addition it is simple to create a macro to update all the fix dates in a TextDocument. The only problem is to distinguish the fix dates from the more fix and the really fix ones.
Concerning the look and the reader’s expectations I would prefer to abandon locales. We (developers, community, others) wasted already too many thousands of hours with repairs concerning errors which never had occured if everybody used ISO 8601.
Running such a macro would be a wonderful opportunity to apply the standardized format and set all date fields to .IsFixedLanguage = True.