Restart count in table of contents

I used Heading 1 for the titles of the chapters (bold) ,heading 2 for the titles of the first chapter and heading 3 for the writings of chapter 2. Yet I dont know to how to restart the count.

I tried through righ clicking on the first line of chapter 2 ye nothing happend.

Could you please explain what you’re trying to do and which numbering scheme you chose?

The “n” in family Heading n indicates the nesting level of the headings (in outline structure). Chapters are at level 1 and styled with Heading 1. Sub-chapters are at level 2 and consequently styled with Heading 2. Assigning Heading 3 to sub-chapters in the second chapter in nonsense (essentially because you skip level 2 to jump directly to level 3).

Headings are automatically numbered when you enable Tools>Chapter Numbering. In this automatic numbering, subordinate levels are reset to 1 whenever a higher level is increased (you enter a new chapter).

Generally speaking, heading are rather short (rule of thumb: they need less than a line in the TOC). “heading 3 for the writings of chapter 2” is faulty if you mean contents of chapter 2. In this case, contents should be styled Text Body so that it doesn’t appear in the TOC.

As I metnioned… i want the numbering to restart. Thats all.

I suspect that the only thing that you needed was use of Heading 2 for your Chapter 2 subchapters (as @ajlittoz explained). That would already “restart count” (if the count you refer to is the numbers at the left of the subchapters, and not e.g. page numbers - which is not specified in the question).

Be more precise. Give an example of what you want. Eventually attach a reduced sample of your document.
But, from the screenshot, I fear you practice direct formatting a lot (from the ribbon UI you selected) while styling is an absolute necessity in “complex” or long-term maintained documents.

I used Heading 1 for the titles of the chapters (bold) ,heading 2 for the titles of the first chapter and heading 3 for the writings of chapter 2. Yet I dont know to how to restart the count.

I tried through righ clicking on the first line of chapter 2 ye nothing happend.

i did that . see my pictures. not working

Your goal is still quite mysterious due to your English skill.

If you mean by that, the contents of chapters (and not a title for a subdivision), you’re wrong. Contents text should be styled Text Body so that it does not pollute the TOC.

No offence intended, but word “count” is ill chosen. Count = number of things. I assume you mean numbering, but numbering associated with which element? And most important, how do you create your numbering? Many problems occur when newbie mix different features like chapter numbering and list numbering. They interfere badly. Only one should be used.

Since you document is hort (9 pages), attach it to your question and tell clearly what should be examined.

To Update a Table of Contents

Do one of the following:

• Right-click in the table of contents and choose Update Index or Table of Contents.
  • Choose Tools - Update - All Indexes and Tables.

Creating a Table of Contents