Retaining the same position of SPLIT VIEW WINDOW format lines and position when reopening a CALC document

I am presently using LibreOffice 24.8.1.2.

I have noticed that when using View-Split Window (single horizontal split, single vertical split or double/cross split wingow view) in LibreOfficeCALC it works perfectly, but the problem arises when you save and close the CALC document and re-open the same at a later time, the position SPLIT WINDOW lines is not exactly the way it was, having th split lines in the same cell position when the CALC document was closed earlier. This is noticed more in the double/cross split window view.

Could an adjustment be please made to ensure that a user can see the SAME Split Window position in exactly the same place/cells when re-opening a CALC file ?

This will be of great help. Thank you.

Seems you are talking of the splitters (horizontally and/or vertically) which are only available in spreadsheets.
If I’m right, “common” is the wrong tag. It should be replaced by “calc”.

The panes created using the splitters only go to the view data. They aren’t even applied to a new window showing the same opened document, an surely not saved to the file.
I obviously had interpreted some experiences in a wrong way.
And I still don’t understand the interdependencies between splitting a view and freezing rows/columns, in specific the related automtisms. That view (CurrentController) settings are saved for one of many Windows showing the same document wasn’t within my horizon of possibilities.

Good afternoon!
The position of the window dividers is saved in the file: in the archive it is settings.xml, tags (fragment):

<config:config-item-map-named config:name="Tables">
  <config:config-item-map-entry config:name="Sheet1">
    <config:config-item config:name="HorizontalSplitMode" config:type="short">1</config:config-item>
    <config:config-item config:name="VerticalSplitMode" config:type="short">1</config:config-item>
    <config:config-item config:name="HorizontalSplitPosition" config:type="int">194</config:config-item>
    <config:config-item config:name="VerticalSplitPosition" config:type="int">136</config:config-item>
    <config:config-item config:name="ActiveSplitRange" config:type="short">3</config:config-item>

@darochalobo, are you opening a previously saved file on the same computer and the same monitor?
See also this topic.

1 Like

@sokol92:
Thanks for the information.
After some additional experiments I am even more confused about the behavior of the “Freeze” and the “Splitting” functions.
(∫:−{)

It’s like regular expressions - you have to re-learn them regularly. :slight_smile:

Did you know that the state of splitted sheet views is roughly “converted” to a view showing the effects of a “Freeze Rows an Coluns” if this tool is used without any prompt - but not regarding the actual position of the cell cursor? The pseudo-conversion can’t be reverted by “Undo”. There are additional strange effects.
This isn’t “different flavors” or “new feature” or the like.

Freezing and Splitting on a single sheet are mutually exclusive.

Freezing: Freeze a certain number of rows/columns so that they are always on the screen.
Convenient method: freezeAtPosition.

Splitting: divide the screen into two or four parts so that you can see different parts of the same sheet. The dimensions for dividing the screen are specified in pixels.
Deprecated interface: XViewSplitable .

My confusion is mostly about the non-negotiated “conversion”.
Other things I simply did never know or had forgotten.

@sokol92
Yes, I am opening a previously saved file on the same computer and the same monitor.

Bugs reports and enhancement requests are posted at the same page.
Screenshot from 2024-09-30 04-28-46

Screenshot from 2024-09-30 04-26-20

(replaced tag common by calc)

@LeroyG

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Just to inform you that I intend to accordingly post my aforementioned bug complaint and enhancement suggestion on the page : https://bugs.documentfoundation.org with the tag "CALC’ and sub-tag ‘enhancement’.

I trust that I will get s suitable response to solve this minor but helpful software bug predicament.

Thanks again.

LeroyG
September 30

Bugs reports and enhancement requests are posted at the same page.

(comment edited by LeroyG to avoid duplicated content)
tdf#163216