Retrieving Data from an unusable databse

I have a Base that I can’t open because of some kind of intractable problem with Java. I am pursuing that problem, but without much success - I fear that it may not be soluble, and so I worry that the data might now be inaccessible.

Initially, I had the data in a spreadsheet which I used as the source for my newly-created database, though of course it has been heavily added to and edited over the years. If I can’t get the database to work, is there any way I can somehow retrieve the underlying data from within the 3.8MB .ODB file as a readable file (text, spreadsheet, whatever) so that it isn’t all lost?

You could give a try to the new (experimental) converter from HSQLDB to Firebird available in 6.1 - its RC2 is in testing now. If you enable the experimental features in advanced options, then upon opening the file, it should be automatically converted; and this does not use Java.

If you do, then please post your feedback here.

@mikekaganski For the most part this works. However, if there is numeric or decimal data in tables it may be converted incorrectly ( Bug 118043). This is due to be fixed in v6.2 but have not seen a working version yet (last looked on 2018-07-25).

Did you install the right JRE? Look here:

ebot - thanks, I have tried to follow the advice in that link but feel I am going in circles. I am running Win 10 Home V10.0.17134 on an X64 based PC, with LO (x64). Can you confirm for me what JRE I should be using (and how I find it - the Oracle website introduces odd terminology such as ‘Offline’ without explaining it?)

This site:

Version: Windows Offline (64-bit). Download it and then install them.

I tried Mike Kaganski’s advice - installed 6.1 and enabled Experimental Features. The file was converted OK, in the sense that the tables open, but they now contain no data at all! So I am, if anything, worse off than ever.

I have an older version of the original database on a laptop, and it works fine there (LO x64, JRE 1.8.0 -171). I have now run a copy of it successfully on this PC. So I conclude that the original .ODB file (ie the one on this PC that doesn’t work) is somehow corrupt, and that the problem is not with Java at all.

All (!) I have to do now is identify which records need to be updated, so I have reverted to LO 5 for the time being to be as conservative as possible. I am grateful for the advice offered here, and especially look forward to eventually being able to do away with Java altogether.

@JohnJeffrey Two possibilities. If your DB is without personal or confidential info post a copy that it may be examined. If not possible then maybe the data is still viable within the .odb (not certain based upon your statements). It may be worth a try to convert it to a split DB thus saving the data. See my answer in this post → To Split DB.

Thanks, Ratslinger. DB does indeed contain personal info so I prefer not to post it. The Split option sounds interesting, and I will experiment with it by following your post. Great resource!

This site:

Version: Windows Offline (64-bit). Download it and then install them.