Revert file conversion back to xlsx

Hello, I accidentally converted my Excel files under File>Wizards>Document Converter. How do I undo sothat they are excel files again?

Your specified tag is “Writer”. What is this all about?

Please tell us your operating system and LibreOffice Version. Thanks.

Oh, sorry. I didnt really understand the tags, it told me to choose one. I am on windows 10, liber version 7.2.5.2. when i open any document it opens on libre now. it used to open on microsoft edge.

I assume you have converted your XLSX files to ODS files, right?

Then it is OK to open the files with LibreOffice.

What was your concern, why did you convert?

What do you want to achieve?

i recieved a xlsx file over email, it opened on libre but because i dont use libre( only have it because a friend used my pc) i wanted to open it on edge, like all other xlsx files do. After a google search on how to convert that, it recommended me to convert with the libre wizard. Because i dont know anything about libre and odf files i just pressed on convert excel just to realize it did the opposite of what i needed…

the main problem with it opening on libre was that i could not resize the sheet to fit on an a4 paper to print it correctly.

IMHO there are the following possibilities:

1. you leave the file in ODS format and set it to print on A4 as you want.
  2. you leave the ODS file and make a file association for opening with the internet browser.
  3. you open the ODS file and save it with “Save as” again as XLSX file (it’s like before).

Zu 1.: Page and printer setup in Calc

Zu 2.: Assign files to LibreOffice (This also works for other apps.)

Notice:
Before you edit files the next time, make a backup copy first. See also:

Preventing data disaster

thank u. I now tried to save it as excel 2007-365 (is that right? i dont see xlsx). But it appears as XLSX#
and i cant open it properly. it also has a .~ infront of the name.

When i try using libre to print i dont see the option that excel had to fit every column on a page.

when i try to open the ods files with edge it just does not work, it just downloads the file again.

i dont see xlsx

Then try XLS.

You seem to misunderstand what’s going on on your system; of course, it’s hard to be sure from your description - but it seems like this:

1. You maybe had something (an Edge plugin???) allowing you to open XLSX files in Edge (never personally heard of such); or - maybe so far you only used to open XLSX files from some online sharing (like Google Drive or MS OneDrive) - which would open in the site by browser.
  2. You had associated LibreOffice with XLSX files (maybe your OS made that automatically upon installation of LibreOffice, when it detected that LibreOffice is the only installed application advertising support for XLSX);
  3. You received an email with an XLSX, and doulbe-clicked it to see that LibreOffice opened it - at which moment you imagined that the XLSX was converted to LibreOffice (while in fact, it wasn’t converted in any way, just associated to LibreOffice);
  4. You started to do something to “undo” the conversion … and in the process, converted files - but that should had kept the original files, and created converted copies…

in any case, what you need is some basic computer literacy, to avoid doing random things to fix what needs not any fix.

1 Like

i dont have that either

i didnt have any plugins. Because i dont have a paid version of excel it just opens everything on the web version.

I do still have all the logs that libre created, can i do anything with them to revert it?

…i dont use libre( only have it because a friend used my pc)…

I guess your friend wanted to do something good for you and installed LibreOffice so that you can open your files with it in the future. Maybe he did not inform you about the new possible procedure. There you could also ask your friend if he can fix it.

My personal tip:
Never would I trust anyone with my PC - ever.

I do still have all the logs that libre created, can i do anything with them to revert it?

Sorry, this is beyond my knowledge.

I have found the fix. I just open the web version of excel and drag and drop the files onto that window. It converts everything on its own. I will now uninstall libre because I don’t need it. As long as office programms are free on the web version i will keep using them instead. I was able to open all files anyways.

And yes this is the last time that i let anyone download stuff on my pc. Thank you all for your time.

Just one more note:

LibreOffice is also free, now and always.

Sure but I wasn’t able to resize my columns onto a single page and that was all that I needed. I might be blind but I find excel easier to use, maybe because I have used it for years now. Libre probably has many great features for free but its not something that i need or use in my work.