Right Click Menu [so long - LO 24.2]

Windows 11, LibreOffice 24.2

The right click context menu is too gigantic, can I edit it? If not, that needs to be addressed.

I have a 4k screen and half of it flows off the screen. Allowing a user to remove, add, edit elements would be a great way give some customising to it.

Stuff I would remove personally.

[updated] Using Chat GTP it states there is no way in editing the values of any items in the right click context menu], is there truth there?

Please edit your question (click on … then on the pencil tool – don’t use a comment, don’t start a discussion) to add OS name, LO version and save format.

How do you get such a lengthy menu? Explain what you were doing, where you clicked, ….

You tagged base: have you the same problem in the database frontend component Base? If not, please remove this tag.

Just created an account, this forum is not greatest design for the newest of people.
Was never stated anywhere clearly to have these guidelines you kindly informing me about.
What tag do you suggest? Because I don’t know, and am I allow to use no tag?

Tags are a way to draw attention of knowledgeable contributors. One tag at least is mandatory: the component you are complaining about (Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, Base, Math) or common in case the problem is “common” to all of them. Here, “common” does not mean it is well-known, commonplace or ordinary; it is rather equivalent to “share”.

Other tags can be added to narrow down the domain but, when in doubt, don’t.

Back to your question. I am puzzled because I don’t identify our menu. Therefore my question: what were you doing? where did you right-click? Your screenshot looks like a combination of items coming from several “standard” menus, and specifically the Table menu. Were you in a table?

This may also be relevant: have you changed the “standard UI” for another one, like a ribbon-like one?

This seems to be the Writer context menu - for paragraph - in 24.2

In my case, using:

Version: 24.2.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:3)
CPU threads: 16; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: x11
Locale: en-AU (wbp_AU.UTF-8); UI: en-US
SlackBuild for 24.2.0 by Eric Hameleers
Calc: threaded

Then I’d call it a UX regression. When I compare it to the same menu in 7.6.5.2, the disabled items are removed, effectively sparing screen estate. Since some items are disabled, they can’t be activated abd it is wise not to display them in a contextual menu (the story is different for the toolbar).

This is worth a bug report.

tdf#159898

1 Like

Thanks for doing some of the investigation. Appears you found the problem and cause. Thanks.

It appears this change is intentional, and can be modified via Expert Configuration.

To change the setting, go to Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Advanced and click on Open Expert Configuration.

In the Search field type disabledentry and click Search. This will display the relevant entry; double click to toggle the value.

1 Like