Saving large xls file to ods

I have a large, 3+ MB xls spread sheet that I started in Open Office.

I try to save as ods and it seems to save but when I look at the size it is 685KB and when i try to open it says the Libreoffice crashed and the document would be recovered when Libre Office was restarted.

There was no recovery notice like I have had with other documents.

The xls file is still in my Magic Briefcase and I have not lost any data YET.

Hi @lacrumb,

First, please make a backup of your original XLS file. Next, please make sure that you’ve installed the latest version of LibreOffice, 3.6.4.

Then, please try to open the file and export it again. If you’re still having problems with the export, please make sure to remove all exported files, temporary files, lock files, etc… from the directory in which you are exporting, and then try again.

I am not trying to export.
I am just trying to save as ODS

@lacrumb – Your input file is XLS, and your output is ODS, right? What happens if you try to save back as XLS – does that cause LO to crash?

Hi @lacrumb,

Just checking back in with you. If installing the latest release doesn’t seem to fix this problem, please file a bug and provide a list of steps that can reproduce your problem. The QA team will be happy to help you track down this issue!

Please post a link to any bugs you file in a comment below using the format “fdo#123456”.

Thanks!