Saving takes long with large document (Writer)

Dear experts,

I have a basic problem with LO and a large Writer document. The document has 400 pages and contains at least as many pictures. However, the images are inserted as links, so the file is only 480 kB. Still, even though the pictures are not saved directly in the document, it takes forever to save. It takes just as long as if all the pictures were embedded in the document.
However, if I close the document, briefly rename the image folder, open and then save, LO saves just as quickly as it should.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change so that when I save, it really only saves the links and doesn’t always overwrite the image files (or whatever LO does here)?

My system:
LibreOffice 7.1.8, but it doesn’t matter, it’s been like this for ages.
Linux Cinnamon 20.2, but also with Mate and older versions, various computers. 8 GB RAM, no computer problems. No unusual settings. Files are on the desktop.

In which file format do you save?

See also same question and discussion in German forum: Speichern dauert lange bei groĂźem Dokument - OpenOffice.info

1 Like

.odt - what else :wink:

Sure it is the same question. It is also me who is asking :slight_smile: But nobody could help me there until now…

In my case, I was embedding the fonts. Saving the file became fast again once I unchecked the options for embedding fonts in the document’s properties.