Scatter X,Y individual points with labels

Version: 6.4.1.2
Build ID: 1:6.4.1-1
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: hu-HU (hu_HU.UTF8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

I try to achieve something similar to How to create an XY plot with individual data points? but maybe the advices there don’t work due to their age, or it’s a different problem.

I have a similar table: lot of individual points (X,Y), all separately labeled. There seems to be two ways to achieve what I want:

1. Create a chart with a lot of series, where each series contains one point and its label and marker
  2. Create a chart with one serie(s), which contains all the points but label them individually.

I do not have the faintest idea how the first would be achieved: I cannot coerce LO to put anything in the X-Values, no matter how convoluted I try to input the range. (True, I could add the series manually, separately, which is obviously not a real solution for a lot of datapoints.)

I can trick LO to create the second version. Almost. It requires an extremely convoluted sequence of steps: after creating the chart I have to edit it, then select one point, then right click and Add datalabels. But…

The result is one serie(s) with same looking points. However no matter what I input into the “Data labels” I cannot get them properly labeled. See this image:

Somehow they always get the Y-Values as the labels.

My questions are:

1. How can I get it done the 1st way? It would be preferred.
  2. How could I get proper labeling with the second method?

UPDATE1:
Starting from @dscheikey’s comment I found that

• if I do
  1. edit » select a datapoint » right click » Add data Labels, or
  2. select top menu Insert » Data Labels, and no need to even touch anything
  • then data labels appear.
  • If I did the 1st version, I have to go back, right click again and then a new menu entry appears: Format Data Labels, where I can unselect Show value and select Show category; I sure don’t have to mention that “category” was found nowhere else in the menus.
  • If I did the second version (and the labels magically appeared even without pushing Ok) then I immediately have the options to unselect and select the checkboxen.

So this is the solution to the second question, but this definitely badly needs fixing:

• completely undocumented
  • inconsistently named
  • almost impossible to figure out without help
  • the Insert»Data Labels probably buggy since it shouldn’t add labels without Ok
  • seems to play against Data Labels in the Chart Wizard

In Data Labels - unmark Show Value as numbers - and mark Show category!
Is that what you need?

Where exactly?

AARGH! This is worse than I thought. I have found it, I’ll update the question. Thanks @dscheikey.

completely undocumented

Doesn’t Data Labels document it? Opening main help page, and entering “label” into Index gives me that as the single match under Charts.

Well I can’t find it on and from Chart Type XY which is the Scatter-XY help.
If I knew that I have to use different menu I can find it’s help page, but…

from Chart Type XY which is the Scatter-XY help

As mentioned, typing “label” in Index there right on that page gives the result. You can’t expect that every possible link somehow applicable to XY charts (there may be hundreds of them) is listed in the text of the page. Search facilities in help are for a reason.

I am sure this is not the best way to discuss this. Scatter Chart wizard asks for data labels, does not display them and gives no hint why. Wizard Help [button] leads to the page I showed an gives no hint why, either. It is not even obvious what needed to be set, so I can’t know what to search for. It is really simple to know it - restrospectively. Not the other way though. I guess I shall PR against the docs somehow, still, I can’t see how to get the 1st version done.