Search for straight single quote ' also finds a curly single quote ’

Hello,
I need to find in a text a straight single quote ' in order to replace it with anything else. But Find&Replace dialog also finds for me a curly single quote ’ which I shouldn’t replace in a text. So I can’t use Replace All for more than 1K of straight single quotes in my text :frowning:
single quote.odt (12.8 KB)

The option Autocorrect → Replace single quote is off. Do I need to file a bug or I miss something there?
Thank you!

Try to copy from the text the straight single quote to paste it in the Find: field.
I have no problem replacing with your file (version 7.1.7.2 on Windows 10.0).

In the Find field enter \u0027 (which is \u and then Unicode number of character), in the Replace field enter \u2019 , tick the box Regular Expressions, then Replace All. Cheers, Al

Didn’t work. It still finds both, straight and curly single quotes, while I expect it to find only straight single quote. I made a video for it.

Version: 7.2.2.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 20(Build:2)
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.13; UI render: default; VCL: kf5 (cairo+xcb)
Locale: uk-UA (uk_UA.UTF-8); UI: uk-UA
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.2.2-0ubuntu0.21.10.1
Calc: threaded

Yes, it works like this. I don’t even need to enter \u0027, it’s enough to enter just the straight single quote ' and tick the box Regular Expressions. But then in Replace field I need also to use Regular Expression, because simple ' doesn’t work, I need to enter there \'

Then should I file the bug to the developer or is it expected behaviour?

You didn’t follow my instructions. I have changed the highliighting of the curly quotes to yellow for clarity:

@EarnestAl, sorry, my previous answer was to @LeroyG , I missed to mention him.

Because the rules for posting a bug first suggest to ask here.

It is worth looking at help List of Regular Expressions

1 Like

So,

and

I think that there is no need to report a bug.

What do you call "a straight single quote '" is called by Unicode an apostrophe. See Unicode search on apostrophe, quotation+single and prime.

1 Like