Separate Ubuntu Dock Icons

I often have a half-dozen LibreOffice documents open, writer, calc, maybe others; some of them (my ‘to do’ lists, current writing projects, files in calc) I keep open all the time. Currently, they all show up under a single icon in the Ubuntu menu bar. That makes it difficult to move among documents quickly.

1. Is there any way to modify Ubuntu to open a separate dock icon for each open document?

2. Is there any way to assign different Ubuntu dock icons to certain open documents, even something as minor as assigning a different color?

Ubuntu 24.04.01 LTS
Libreoffice 24.2

Dock icons start applications. The Nautilus file manager can be used to collect favorite documents in a “Favorites” folder. This folder contains links to your favorite documents whereever they are stored. I have one dock icon for the LibreOffice start center with the recent documents. In the start center, you can also pin documents to keep them permanently on top.

Thanks. You are correct, the dock icons launch applications. Once the applications are open, the dock icons also serve as navigation tools to move among them, and that is the problem I am trying to solve.

I will look at the Nautilus file manager, it sounds useful, but if I understand your description, it is still presents a multi-step process to move among open files.

Thanks again.

The “Super” key (usually the one with the Windows symbol) shows all open windows.
Alt+Tab or Super+Tab switches between application windows.
Alt+^ (above Tab) switches between windows of same application.
Super+3 selects the window of the 3rd application on the dock. Super+3,3 lets you select between multiple windows of the 3rd application on the dock.
Within LibreOffice, the Window menu lets you switch between LibreOffice windows.