Separator after Custom Number Range *without* heading number?

I’d like to create a custom number range that automatically inserts a separator after the number. If I go into Fields | Variables, Type: Number Range, I can create a new number range with a custom name, no value, Format: Arabic (1 2 3). But “Separator” is only an option under “With Heading Number,” and if I set Up to level: [None], “separator” remains grayed out. If I set Up to Level to a number, the heading number with separator appears before the variable, neither of which I want.

Is there any way to use number range to create a custom list of numbers to insert an automatic separator character (which could be universally changed), or should I file an enhancement request?

(In my particular use case, I want to enumerate a list of items in a footnote on the same line, which AFAICT cannot be done using lists. So, e.g.: “Here is a list of examples: 1) …, 2) …, 3) …” I would like them to be on the same line, so I can’t use lists; I would also like the parenthesis after the number (inserted as a field variable) to be automatically inserted, so I don’t have to manually insert them each time and could change them all at once.)

Thank you in advance.

This is not possible. A number range is just a monotonic sequence number, full stop. It is a very basic tool used in other more sophisticated features like list numbering. List numbering is more sophisticated, using 10 number ranges which can be hidden depending on levels, decorated with separators, etc. This does not exist for the elementary number range brick.

I don’t think an AutoText can be of any help because your cross-reference to the note anchor needs to point to an individual occurrence of the number range.

Proceeding the other way, i.e. inserting first the note with an AutoText (=number range plus parenthesis and space), you still have the complicated insertion of the note “anchor” which is a cross-reference to the individual note.

Out of curiosity: how do you manage to position your notes at bottom of page and have them flushed automatically to next page if the anchor is moved? Otherwise updates to the document becomes a nightmare.

Thank you – a feature request it is!

I was unaware of the AutoText feature, and it actually does help for the insertion part – I can have it insert the desired field with a separator, but unless I’m missing something, editing the AutoText to change the separator does not change things already inserted via AutoText, which would be the whole point. (Is it possible to search for specific fields? If so, I could do what I want via search-and-replace: search for the field + the current separator and change it to the field + the new separator.)

I think you may have misunderstood me as asking for something more complicated, or I’m misunderstanding you. The list itself just happens to be in a footnote, and the elements in the list are not cross-references to anything else. For clarity, here is what I am doing. In the body, I write: “There are ten such examples.” Then I insert a footnote. In the footnote, I write: “Here are the ten: [1]) blah; [2]) blah blah; [3]) blah blah blah;” etc. Each of the numbers in brackets is my custom number range field/variable (call it “examples”). I haven’t had any issues with that footnote moving around as I edit the document.

Yes, AutoText is just a replacement for “constant” repetitive typing. It has not the properties of a field. Once tha AutoText entry is entered into your text, writer forgets it came from AutoText and manages it like manual typing. Consequently, modifying the definition ot the AutoText entry has no effect on previous uses.

Yes, I thought you were asking for something similar to a recent post where short footnotes should be positioned several in the same lines instead of starting each their own paragraph.

With the help of you example, it is now clear that you want an “inline list” and not several footnotes. This is much simpler and number range is the right track.

Your AutoText entry is then defined as “[”, number range field, “])”. When you want to restart the sequence number, double-click on the field to be fixed and set its value explicitly (likely to be 1) in the dialog.

I don’t see the rationale behind changing the separator: all your “inline lists” should look consistently the same, unless, of course, you’re in the design phase and not yet sure about the "best " decoration. But this can be tested manually before creating the AutoText.

If it is a matter of late decision, after your book is fully typed, you can’t search for field+separator. You can only search for the separator alone, with possible false hits in the text (unless your separator is specifically chosen).

"I don’t see the rationale behind changing the separator: all your “inline lists” should look consistently the same, unless, of course, you’re in the design phase and not yet sure about the “best " decoration.”

Consider a case of submitting an article to multiple journals which have different style standards. Then it’s not just an issue of deciding one time on the “best” decoration, but being able to change it in response to different external requirements.

Thank you for your responses here. My enhancement request is here: 159533 – Add custom separators to all field variables