Set Default for Restore Down

I’d like to set the default so Restore Down results in a window about 1/2 the size of the full window. Right now Restore Down results in a window barely smaller than the full window and I have to re-size it each time.

It seems that it is an operating system issue. Or in other applications restore down works as you wish?

For my own information, what is “Restore Down”? In which OS?

I am under Fedora 35 Linux, KDE Plasma desktop, kwin window manager.

I set manually the window to the size I want. Then pressing the control, window size alternates between full screen and previously set size.

It looks like this “user” size is saved in the user profile. You may need to save the file once to record your new size.

If it still doesn’t work, you may need to reset your user profile. This seems to be a frequent requirement under Windows after an update. Have a look at Help>Restart in Safe Mode.

Usually, Windows remember the size and placement of your last (3?) windows, so if your last window closed was 1/2 size and placed to the left of the screen, and the second to last window was 1/2 size but to the right of the screen, the next time you open that program the first window will be 1/2 to the left, the next will be 1/2 to right.
I have read that holding down Ctrl+click the X helps Windows to remember position; I don’t know if it is true. Cheers, Al

In M.S. Word (Win 10) for instance the “restore down” is a little box at the top right, two little squares superimposed. It’s next to the x that closes the program. I don’t think I can copy & paste the screenshot:
In Word, clicking it reduces the open window to about 1/3 or 1/4 of full size. On L/O 7.0, restore down makes the window just slightly smaller than it was and it has to be re-adjusted each time by hand.
I don’t think it’s an issue with Win 10. Other word processors, like Word, have the default set differently. I’d like to find out where the defaults are stored so I can change it. -:wink:
Mike

Thanks for the information. I would call it “full screen/previous size” window control. I see now what it is.

But this is not a solution to your question. Be kind enough to move it to a comment so that knowledgeable contributors don’t think the question is answered and solved and they skip it.

In M.S. Word (Win 10) for instance the “restore down” is a little box at the top right, two little squares superimposed. It’s next to the x that closes the program. I don’t think I can copy & paste the screenshot:
In Word, clicking it reduces the open window to about 1/3 or 1/4 of full size. On L/O 7.0, restore down makes the window just slightly smaller than it was and it has to be re-adjusted each time by hand.
I don’t think it’s an issue with Win 10. Other word processors, like Word, have the default set differently. I’d like to find out where the defaults are stored so I can change it.
Mike

Why do you repeat in a comment your answer? The only difference is "-:slight_smile: " near the end.

Did you try holding down Ctrl while you clicked the X in the corner? Here is another way, with the window at the size you want, press File > Close.