Set paragraph style missing on tabbed view

Hi folks,

The “Set paragraph style” doesn’t show, when I change to tabbed view. It is visible when I change to tabbed compact. See the screenshot below.

I’ve tried resetting LibreOffice by deleting the settings folders for LibreOffice. Not sure if this is related to the language settings on my PC, since this did not help at all.

I’ve had the same problem on two computers running Ubuntu 20.04 and MX Linux 21 with the locale set to Norwegian.

Any help would be appreciated!

This is not the answer you expect, but here it is.

IMHO, tabbed views were offered as an easy switching path for users coming from M$ Word where this ribbon allows for “comfortable” formatting according to Word model.

But LO Writer has more power features than Word. Writer is based on the concept of style. Styles, contrary to Word, are ubiquitous: paragraph (the only category known to Word), character, page, frame and list. The style concept allows to centrally tune your layout and format without touching text if you carefully designed your styles and avoided direct formatting.

However the various tabbed views encourage users to keep their Word workflow instead of promoting the style model. This is a quick’n’dirty facility to change to Writer but it makes believe that Writer is a replacement for Word, which it is not due to the differences in underlying principles.

Since you’re requesting a “set paragraph style” menu, you are probably already using styles heavily. In this case the “standard” interface is better fit:

• there is a paragraph style menu in the main toolbar
  • character styles are available in the side style pane (display this category as there is no character style menu in the main toolbar)

Since a document references only a handful of styles, you can also define keyboard shortcuts for your favourite paragraph and character styles. Thus everything is typed with the keyboard avoiding the pain to switch to the mouse and back.

Thanks for the answer. You’re wrong about me not liking the answer. The standard interface of LibreOffice is better. I’m using the tabbed view to better switch back and forth between Microsoft Office, for the users I support.

This seems to be a bug. Does anybody know how to fix the issue?

Try this: In the menu, click Tools > Customise > Notebookbar and scroll down about 20% of the way and make sure there is a tick next to Styles Preview

LibreOffice 7.5.1.2

Thanks for your suggestion. The styles preview is allready ticket. I unticket it and ticket it again. The empty section disappeared and appeared again. I’m sorry to say that nothing changed :slightly_frowning_face:.

My LibreOffice version is 7.0.4.2, by the way.

If you have reset your user profile and the customize setting makes no difference then you should probably post a bug report, How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

Not sure why the reset didn’t work the last time, but I tried it again and it solved the issue now. It might be that I had LibreOffice processes running in the background, when trying this the last time.

Thanks for taking your time.