Setup Automated API for Updating of Investment Asset Pricing -How To

Goal: to setup a Libreoffice {LO} Calc tab, for the updating of cryptocurrency assets (eg. Bitcoin {BTC}, Chainlink {LINK}, Ethereum [ETH}, etc.).

So, my referenced cells can be updated to show current asset calculations: eg. Price, market cap. {capitalisation}, % change, etc… These are just an example of what I am trying to achieve. Even if it ONLY the asset price changes, that would be perfectly acceptable.

Limitations: I am NOT a computer programmer/coder, in any shape or form. I can/have learnt spreadsheet applications (OpenOffice, Libreoffice) completely by myself. From watching/reading tutorials, that have been writtenin ‘Dummies’ format. I can comprehend basic calculation strings; but not the advanced lines, of code.

I am NOT looking to understand the theory, of how API’s work; but to understand just enough knowledge to implement the information I have access to, from my Australian crypto brokerage firm. I do NOT want to write, modify, or amend any of the categories, of API informatin supplied. JUST to press F9 and have the information updated, to current status, for my purpose designed spreadsheet: which is not overly complex.

The older LO pages (linked below) appear to state that LO can NOT directly import API data into the calc. Spreadsheet (you have to use macros/another coding system, like Python). Does this still hold true? If so, it seems incomprehensible that such a basic requirement, in today’s World, of data importation, often via the use of APIs, is not a base functionality, of a programme that states it is an alternative to the major paid programme, in the World: Excel. Or, does Excel ALSO NOT achive this?

What I Have tried: I have used ‘external links’ to previously access free pricing information, on investment websites, supplying statistical analysis. However, these sites are always changing, so that the updates cannot be performed. It gets frustrating, so I am wanting to utilise the API information available, for a permanent solution.

I have tried searching for other such requests, by other LO users, such as myself. The threads I have seen have had example *.ods files supplied. I have downloaded these & tried to understand them. But, as I said, I do not want to learn complex LO coding/calculations, for a one-off event. Besides, they are over my head. Which is why I am after a ‘Dummies Guide’ on ‘how to.’

Threads I have tried to incorporate are (all these pages are years old):

The real problem is that the Ops also never finish their requests by stating how they implemented the supplied information -if indeed they ever did. Maybe they just gave up: who knows.

Hence my belief a ‘Dummies Guide’ is very neccessary, so others, like me, aren’t continuely asking the same questions, over & over.

What I have: I have generated an API, as well as an access token, from Swyftx (my crypto brokerage firm). Their documentation is written by ‘experts’ who seem to have no ability to convey how to implement the information, to computer semi-illiterates, like me. In other words, they cannot talk in straight-forward English, without resorting to programming language, expecting the reader to automatically understand the gaps they leave, in how to get from A to B. Swyftx’s so-called support is next to useless, as they just refer me back to the same documentation, & say that is all there is.

Apparently, I am supposed to know how to use the access token (which is supposed to be set in Json format??), to allow an authorisaton for my API key to function. Which means precisely ???, to me.

I have found/installed getrest.oxt, which I understand does the same as the Libreofficegetrestplugin, which I was unable to find/download/install. And, this is apparently needed to make this function work.

If there is another way, please tell me, but remember, in a dummies way.

Just for the helper’s understanding, I am wanting to to go from:

![|643x292](file:///C:/Users/ob0th/AppData/Local/Temp/lu20032504dx1.tmp/lu20032504dyl_tmp_58538fcfe7140c95.jpg)

TO:

![|643x247](file:///C:/Users/ob0th/AppData/Local/Temp/lu20032504dx1.tmp/lu20032504dyl_tmp_ce5f36e276836b31.jpg)

And, have it update, to current status, by pressing F9.

The above is just a manually designed representation, of what I am attempting to achieve. The categories could be more, or less: even just the asset, & the price would be a start.

End-goal: So, are there any contenders to assist with my goal. It would be highly beneficial to others, like me, with very limited comprehension, of LO {I believe}. Thanks to all who take the time to read/attempt to help this.

obviously uploading your pics failed…

i suppose you never catch fish if you dont go fishing, but really … maybe spend some Crypto profits on a developer?