Sharing LO custom toolbars (cross-platform)

Can I easily share LibreOffice custom toolbars with another user?

I’m on a Mac, a colleague of mine works on Windows. He agreed to download LO and work with me on an odt and an ods file that I’ll send him. To facilitate communication between us, it would be helpful if he had the same LO custom toolbars as I have.

I have created two custom toolbars: X for LO Writer and Y for LO Calc. In both Writer and Calc, X or Y, respectively, are the only toolbars active under View → Toolbars.

I assume that one can share user profiles, but I fear to do so across platforms and across different LO versions might not be safe enough. I’m looking for a way of simply sharing a custom toolbar.

1 Like

On windows, it looks like the toolbar XML shows up in the folder

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user\config\soffice.cfg\modules\scalc\toolbar\

On Linux, I’d guess

~/.local/LibreOffice/4/user/config/soffice.cfg/modules/scalc/toolbar/

Checking very quickly, this seems to appear in real-time once a customization is made as, for example, standardbar.xml. It would certainly be worth making a customization then just trying to rename this .xml to a .bak on your system, restart LO, then rename it back, restart LO, and see each time if your customizations go away and then come back. If so, I’ll suspect it would work cross platform. There doesn’t appear to be anything in the XML that is OS specific.

2 Likes

Thank you @joshua4, and sorry for taking so long to react.

On macOS, the folder you mention is located here:

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/4/user/config/soffice.cfg/modules/scalc/toolbar

There are currently two files in this folder:

custom_toolbar_588dbbf6.xml
standardbar.xml

It looks to me that the first of these is where any changes to my custom toolbar (via “Customize …”) are saved.

Since the look of the toolbar is somewhat related to the choice of UI variants, in what file is my choice of UI variant saved?

(Whenever I change my UI, I’d expect changes in the two files in the “ui” folder, but in fact nothing changes there.)

You can use %APPDATA% for this part as I assume Admin was the Username you used.

1 Like