shift+enter does not work as expected

Hello,

Can somebody help me? When I hit shift+enter at the end of a line it starts new line but adds space at the end of previous line. In MS Office this combination does not add a space at the end of line.
Is it possible to disable it?

Best regards,
Witek

Are you using Justified image description alignment in Word, while you use Align Left image description in Writer?

Yes, I’m using justified in Word as well as in Writer.

Shift+Enter does not end a paragraph. It simply requests to go to next line within the same paragraph. Therefore, the line ending with Shift+Enter is not the last line of the paragraph. As such, it incurs all formatting dictated by your settings.

In particular, if you justify paragraph content, inter-word spaces are expanded so that text extends from margin to margin. Only the “real” last paragraph line is not justified.

This is perfectly compliant with the specification. So think twice about what you want to achieve with your Shift+Enter mark. Eventually, edit your question to tell us what you’re trying to achieve.

In case, you really want a non-justified line of text in the middle of a justified paragraph (IMHO this is a bad idea), type a tab before Shift+Enter. The tab temporarily disables justification, also per specification.

EDIT

The above described justification of line ending with a line break (Shift+Enter) has been introduced for compatibility with M$ Word! If you don’t like it, go to Tools>Options, LibreOffice Witer>Compatibility and uncheck Expand word space on lines with manual line breaks in justified paragraphs. This will completely disable the feature.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer) or comment the relevant answer.

@ajlittoz: you must be right in identifying the problematic configuration; yet it seems that OP has a problem that without that setting, Writer behaves unexpectedly. That setting is on by default for both new ODF documents, and for imported Word files. So it’s unclear why OP has some document where it’s unchecked… (I’m not sure it’s a compat option for Word actually.)

Shift+Enter doesn’t produce a space for me.

A non-printable formatting character is set at the end of the line after Shift+Enter and this is quite normal and cannot be changed.

If my answer has solved your problem, please click on the checkmark in the circle Bildbeschreibung to the left of the answer for upvote. This will tell the community that the question has been answered correctly.

With me Windows 10 Home; Version 1909; 64-Bit | LibreOffice, Version: 6.4.3.2 (x64).

Thank you for your reply @Hrbrgr but it is still weird for me. In MS Office there is no space at the end of the line but here in Writer it is. It is visuable also in pdf file so it will be the same when I will print the file.

It must be assumed, since you are working with different office programs, may not save in ODF format.

Basically:

Always create and save your files in LibreOffice and save them in ODF format (ODT, ODS, etc.).
Always keep these files as their source. If you need other formats for distribution to partners, you can open an ODF file and save and distribute another format with ″ Save as… ″.

This way, you always have working files available in your system environment.

See:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/General/118

========================

Please report the behavior as a bug in Bugzilla .

Please announce the link from the bug here.

To do this, edit your initial question. Thank you.