(solved see my answer)LibreOffice not opening or saving files from removable media

I am using libre office Version: 6.1.5.2

Build ID: 1:6.1.5-3+deb10u6

CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: x11;

Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group threaded

I am using it on the chrome os Linux beta environment(my chrome book is in beta mode version 90.0.4430.19, Linux distribution is Debian 10 or 11)

When I try to edit a file from removable media I get this message,“General input/output error while accessing /mnt/chromeos/removable/plus_slim/school/Com. Porg/computer programing fuctons_notes(python).docx.

I tried saving a file and I got:

Error saving the document Untitled 1:
Object not accessible.

The object cannot be accessed
due to insufficient user rights.

I also get two errors before this:

General input/output error while accessing /mnt/chromeos/removable/plus_slim/school/lu21386deiz9.tmp

And

General input/output error while accessing /mnt/chromeos/removable/plus_slim/school/lu21386deiz9.tmp.

(the name of the .tmp file changes depending on how many times I save the file)

I understand that they are the same I have a feeling it has something to do with permissions I really need a fix

I can edit files from remote file servers and edit all other files on my main drive.

Hope the info I provided helps.

EDIT_ebot Text formatted for better readability.

saving a file:

image description
image description
image description
image description

opining a file

My tips:

• Do not use special characters in the URL of the document (like the dots and parentheses) neither in the Path nor in the File Name.
  • Do not use the OOXML file formats. Use the native, really standardized ODF file formats.
  • Do not work directly on a removable media: copy the document (before you edit it) onto the HDD/SSD.

Thanks for the advice this does not seem to work. I tried saving a file and I got
Object not accessible.
The object cannot be accessed
due to insufficient user rights.
I am not sure how to fix this

Have you tried to save it onto the built-in (local) media (HDD/SSD)?

I can save it in built-in storage but because I am using Linux beta on a Chrome book that does not have a lot of storage, I need to figure this out. I do a lot of writing for school so I can’t save all those documents to local storage.

I suggest you to save the files onto inside storage device, and then copy it onto the removable media by a file manager software. Finally delete the original one from the inside storage device.
Or check and set the write rights for the removable media in your operating system.

I know I can do that But I still want to know Why my method does not work

I think you have a user conflict. The document you’re opening belongs to user A, but you’re logged in as user B.

It had nothing to do with permissions. I disabled the file locks using these steps:

1. install nano if not installed already (sudo apt-get install nano -y)
  2. open this file using (sudo nano /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice)
    3.comment out these items like so
    ( # SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1 export
    # SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING)
  3. open libreoffice
  4. go to advanced settings
  5. open expert configuration
  6. search for “useLocking”, “UseDocumentOOoLockfile” and “usedocumentsystemfilelocking”(no quotes)
  7. dissable each option(duble click to togle to false)
  8. Thats it

I can understand this refuces problems with opening files,
but can you change and save back the file?
Can you create new files / save with another name?

(You have only avoided creating new files during opening other files. Imho this doesn’t solve the problem with right to access the drive)

Yes I can create edit and open files from the drive as well as edit existing files