Some beginner doing beginner stuff that he canot understand

(First of all, sorry for my english ect. im not a native speaker)
So as title say im begginer trying to learn LibraOffice with some course and i get some issue.

The first issue

In pivot table when i try to use average on two columns sorted by date (grouped by years and month), then in the data in both average- columns are missing some numbers and i cant figure it and i cant find any similiar problem to that. Im leaving a file that i used and where the problem arises, I did two sheets where I just transleted columns and nothing more.

Issue.ods (65.7 KB)

The second issue

SQL just dont work. What i mean is that the question and all the commands have sense and should work but LENGTH is consider as a text? And i have completly no idea how to fix that. (The table have name “uno”)The table have columns from left: Id, Name. Surname, Class, Average

[image]

=====================================================
Thank you in advance if somebody would explain to me what is happening here and sorry if there is some easy way to make that work (And if i put less tags that i should or i just put this topic where it shouldnt be) but libraoffice lately make me crazy.

Hi, I just want to answer the first part of your questions. In your Calc file, the data in columns D and E were mostly text instead of numbers. This means that Calc cannot calculate a mean value. I have converted the texts. Now it should fit.
As a beginner in Calc, you should always leave the “value highlighting” indicator on. Then you get a visual help whether it is values, texts or formulas.

Issue.ods (82 KB)

1 Like

See this FAQ for how to convert text to numbers.

1 Like

Thank you very much.
That fixed the problem and also thank you for the tip with value highlighting.

Welcome friend!
We will deal with the first question quickly. See how some of the values in the original table are right-aligned? These are numbers. And all the rest are text, the pivot table simply ignored these cells because it cannot calculate average values for text strings.

Usually, to understand what data is in the table, it is recommended to press CTRL + F8 and look at the color:

Please see Frequently asked questions - Calc - it’s about convert text to numbers

On the second question - have you tried to put the name of the field Nazwisko in quotation marks?

1 Like

Thank you kindly for the help with the first question and second.
About the second problem, no i didnt use them but after I come back to that specific task it worked even with the same comands i showed. Still, I will remember to try them out if i will have similiar issue again.