Something strange reading a .docx document

There appears to be something strange in the 20 Page .docx document that I am recently viewing in LibraOffice Writer. In order to be able to make it easier for me to read a lumps of text on the computer, I turn off the full justification, just having that paragraph left justified. Normally (with every other time I had done this) this would keep the same words on each line with all the spaces between the words as normal. This ragged right edge is supposed to help the eyes follow which line you are on. When I switched the full justification off on on this document recently received, the word wrapping, in a few places, went onto the next line at different places. This is most obvious indication is on the last line of the paragraph, which has fewer words on it.
At first I thought there is something strange about this Microsoft Aptos font. But I changed over to my normal choice (Noto) and the same thing happens.
I think this is a bit strange.
J0hn

There is a difference between Word’s justification and Writer’s. There is a bug report to make Writer’s similar to Word. I can’t find the bug report/discussion I’m thinking of but tdf#38159 should give a flavour.

[Edit] tdf#119908

To clarify the meaning of @EarnestAl’s reference:

In recent versions of LibreOffice, Write got the new feature to justify in Word files the same way as Word does: it may not only widen the spaces between words, but also sometimes shrink them. This may result in more words fitting into the line, than in non-justified mode, and this is not a bug, but what the original application (Word) does for such files.

1 Like