Sorting data in LibreOffice Calc

I have a spreadsheet with column headings, and I want to sort the data alphabetically by the first column. The Sort options in the Data menu are grayed out, even when I select the rows I want to sort. What do I have to do to make the Sort options available? This problem is happening in only one file; I have many other Calc documents, both single-sheet and multiple-sheet, in which the Sort options are available. I’m at a loss to find anything different about this file, but I’m hoping someone will be able to suggest a solution.

I’m using LibreOffice 6.4.6.2 (x64) on a Windows 10 PC.

Is the file Read Only? You will have to OK the warning to allow edit and you will need to do a Save As [another filename].

• Or you can navigate to the file in Windows Explorer, right click the file, select Properties and in the General tab untick the Read Only box before opening the file.
  • While you are in Properties if you click on the Security tab make sure that your user name has ticks in the Allow column against everything from Full Control to Write.

If Protection is turned on for the spreadsheet then Sort is not greyed out but you would get a warning dialog saying that you can’t sort a protected sheet. Tools > Protect Sheet…

Please delete your other identical question

It’s not Read Only, and I do have full control. I can edit the file in just about every other way except sorting. Protection was turned off, but just to see if it would make a difference, I turned protection on and then off again, and that fixed the problem. Thanks so much for your help!

I noticed that my question posted twice, but I didn’t know how to delete the duplicate. I just figured out how to do that, so I will. Thanks again.