Special characters are replaced with question marks when printed to disk

In the macro,
step 1: I get string S out of the InputBox(…)
step 2: Print S
step 3: Print #FileNum, S
If S contains special characters (CHR(191) and beyond, e.g. cyrillic) then step 3 changes these characters to question mark “?” (while step 2 doesn’t).
How to fix it?

LO: 6.3.6.2, Default language for documents: French (France), Windows: 10

PrintSym.ods (10.8 KB)

Please edit your sample file, and put those characters into a cell. Then we will able to try it in the Form (by copy-paste) even if we have not cirillic keyboard, and locale settings.

SbiRuntime::StepPRINTF uses SbiIoSystem::Write, which uses thread encoding (basically, system encoding) to encode the 8-byte string. Given that you use a French Windows, i.e. your system encoding is windows-1252, which cannot represent Cyrillic characters, the conversion replaces all non-representable characters with question marks. Also Put has the same result.

LibreOffice uses Unicode internally, so your first print command may render the unicode to screen/console and use the appropiate charset of the console.
Writing to a file via #FileNum may either not replacing anything, or respecting other settings. As windows comes from using codepages, this default may differ from console.
You may try to change the console to unicode with command chcp 65001
But as not every program for windows can handle unicode, I won’t use this as a general setting.

Console codepage has no effect on LibreOffice Basic Print to file operation. One could set language for non-Unicode programs to utf-8 (which is still beta on Windows), but be prepared for any kinds of problems then from software that isn’t prepared for such a setup.

The recipe is simple - don’t use Basic Print # (this is true for VBA as well).
Use SimpleFileAccess to read and write text files. See section “8.9.4 Streams” of A.Pitonyak’s classic book OOME_4_0.odt.

3 Likes

Many thanks to you and Pitonyak