Spellcheck English (UK) in LO 7.3.5.2 fails to function correctly

There appears to be an anomaly with spellchecking which I am unable to fathom.

I’m using LO Writer v 7.4.5.2 in Ubuntu (both versions 20.04 and 22.04 are the same issue) on two separate PCs.

With English (USA) selected:

With English (UK) selected (no underlining of misspelt text):

Have I missed some underlying option?

The underlying language setting on both PCs are the same

`Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages screen:

The third screenshot shows the settings in the OS. What does Tools>Options, Language Settings>Languages say?
Have you explicitly set the language in some paragraph style?
Have you installed the English language package? By default, only en_US is installed. All other en variants are in an optional package (libreoffice-langpack-en in Fedora).

@ajlittoz Question updated with that screen

@GrahamLees thanks. Is the specific language pack installed?

AFAIK how to check?

Not familiar with Ubuntu package management but apt-get should allow you to see all packages installed (or the GUI wrapper around it; there is usually such a utility in the “configuration center” or what’s it’s named under Ubuntu). Eventually, submit sudo apt-get install libreoffice-langpack-en in a terminal (hoping the package as the same name as under Fedora).

If I am able to select English (UK) in the bottom bar, presumably that language pack is installed. yes?

No, you’re free to tag any sequence in your text as Klingon. This becomes an intrinsic property of this sequence. Spellchecking is independent from language-tagging. It will be effective only after you installed the specific language optional utility. The fact you have no wavy red underline sounds like missing language pack.

OK so I installed the GB language pack apt install libreoffice-l10n-en-gb but there is no change other than the default shown in the bottom bar now says English (UK). The spellcheck does not underline the word “scpelckek” as it did with (US).

I don’t think libreoffice-l10n-en-gb is the right package because l10n stands for “localization”, i.e. adapting the UI and messages to your local language.

On my Fedora system, I need to also ibstall hunspell-en-GB which contains the specific dictionaries.

Ubuntu responds “Unable to locate package libreoffice-hunspell-en-GB”

Then it has another name under Ubuntu.

Googling “ubuntu hunspell en-gb” immediately gives Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- hunspell, with “Package hunspell-en-gb” on the page.

2 Likes

That worked @mikekaganski thanks.
I installed synaptic package manager searched for and installed hunspell-en-gb and now with English (UK) in the bottom bar, an incorrect word is underlined.