Stop images from overlapping with text

Hi everyone,
I’m writing a document in LO writer, and wanted to take your help for an issue.

Please refer to the attachment “Document with additional newlines.odt” in which there are extra newlines before a line of text followed by an image.
Document with additional newlines.odt (25.6 KB)

When a few new lines are deleted, the image goes back to the previous page, but is not placed correctly w.r.t. the text. This is shown in the attachment below.
Document with image placement issue after deleting newlines.odt (26.9 KB)

The expectation is that, if the image does not have enough space to fit, then it should stay in the existing page. I hope I’ve communicated the issue. Please let me know if you need more details.

OS name: Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)
LO version:
Version: 7.6.5.2 (X86_64)
Build ID: 60(Build:2)
CPU threads: 12; OS: Linux 6.7; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Thanks,
Mallikarjun.

There are many parameters associated with frames. These involve anchor type, wrap mode and position within the page, including whether or not the frame is constrained within the margins (Keep inside text boundaries).

Your snapshot are practically worthless because we can’t infer these properties, and even less since you didn’t enable View>Formatting Marks.

In addition, I bet you initially created the figure caption with Insert>Caption which add another frame around the picture. Have you deleted this extra frame after removing the caption?

For a correct analysis, attach a 2-page sample file (so that we can see the movement of the frame after caption modification). Things will be easier to diagnose if your document is fully styled.

And as always, mention OS name, LO version and save format.

*Please provide these improvements to your question by editing/modifyint it instead of using a comment. You can do that with a click on below it then on the “pencil” icon.

Hi @ajlittoz ,
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I’ve modified my post by considering your suggestions. Please let me know if I missed anything.
Mallikarjun.

Since you removed too much text, I can’t really grasp your intent. I assume that empty paragraphs along the frames are only there to space vertically subsequent text so that it is not visible at right of image (and even perhaps at left too).

This is typical of not understanding the various controlling parameters of frames (which can then be recorded in a frame style).

This is handled by setting wrap mode to None in teh Wrap tab of right-click + Properties. In the same tab, untick Allow overlap to avoid overlap of neighbouring frames.

This wrap mode tells Writer that the frame “owns” the full width of the page and blocks any side text. Then you no longer need your “spacing empty paragraphs”.

The bleeding of the frame inside the bottom margin after a tentative move can be avoided by ticking Keep inside text boundaries in Type tab.

I also notice that your frames have been manually positioned (dragged with the mouse). This creates direct formatting which overrides potential frame style you could have created and blocks style updates.

As an example of what can be done with frame styles, I created Figure and applied it to your frames after getting rid of your direct formatting (applying another frame style before Figure).

I also note that you have direct formatting over your paragraphs and don’t use character styles for typographical variations like bold (use Strong Emphasis) or subscripts (character style to create). With sophisticated documents like this one, direct formatting will lead you to nightmare when it comes to tune the look of your document.

Document with image placement issue after deleting newlines.odt (23.6 KB) with new frame style

Hi @ajlittoz ,
Probably, unticking “allow overlap” and chosing “None” as wrap mode is solving the bleeding of the frame inside the bottom margin of the previous page. I’ll try to understand the other issues you’ve mentioned about the document.
Mallikarjun.

No, only Keep inside text boundaries handles the “margin overflow” case.