Stored list values

Hi

I currently have a few lists to define things like contact type & purpose etc. These are fairly short lists, though i will also need to make some longer lists as i build the system up further. I want to avoid user error hence have opted for fixed lists.

Currently i have a small table for each list, containing only list values and an auto-value PK. These tables are linked to one parent table each (contacts, address, etc) via a 1:n relationship. I insert the PK of the list value into the parent table with a list box and SQL.

I’m wondering if it is correct to have set a relationship, or, if it is better to handle these list values without one?

One thing i read was to store the values on a table without a relationship; then call the list value directly into a form with a list box & SQL. From what i read, that should allow for easier understanding of data in the parent table, and reduce the risk of data integrity issues. Is this correct?

Im only getting started with queries, so don’t have the experience to properly understand if that side of things will be majorly impacted by this decision.

Hello,

Do not see any reason to not define relationships.

Don’t know the basis for all this:

One thing i read was to store the values on a table without a relationship; then call the list value directly into a form with a list box & SQL. From what i read, that should allow for easier understanding of data in the parent table, and reduce the risk of data integrity issues. Is this correct?

Using a list box can use SQL but not understanding what this has to do with a relationship.

IF i understood it correctly, they had concerns over the user making changes to lists and then trying to change references in parent tables. Why that is, i do not know, it doesn’t seem likely to happen to me. Id just make a new list record. But, im new at this. Better to check rather than carry on unsure :slight_smile:

Lists or SQL, if there is a worry, use tables with SQL and a database where you assign user rights where they cannot modify those entries. Then someone who does have authority must maintain them.

Spot on, thanks for clarifying that.