Strange bug in LibreOffice Writer? same color eats borders

I encounter what seems to be a strange bug in LibreOffice Writer:

I have styled a list as follows:

I can use any color for the animal names, for example green:

… or orange:

But as soon as I use the same color as the ordinal, the border box around the ordinal disappears:

This happens regardless of whether I apply the blue color to the animal names via direct formatting or via character style.

Yet for some reason, the border does NOT disappear if I use blue without boldening:

So the closest I can get to the desired outcome is to leave the first letter unboldened:

But as soon as I bolden the first letter too, the border box disappears:

Any idea why this happens and what I can do against it ?
Thanks so much!

How are you getting the outline around the number to begin with?

character style > borders

May be related to bug tdf#150517 though I assume you already changes colour from Automatic to the designated one in Font Effects.
Could you please attach your test file?

bug report filed here: 158818 – same style eats list ordinals' border box

test file is here: 158818 – same style eats list ordinals' border box
thank you

I finally got a list looking the way you wanted. But it took some time. I had to set up and delete several Character Styles in the process. There were evidently conflicts in the settings as I experimented with different settings in linked style dialogs, particularly Paragraph Style settings and Character Style settings.

Here is what finally worked.

Create a Character Style named _My Blue.

Organizer tab: Name _My Blue.

Font tab: Style Regular (the Paragraph Style will make the font bold in both the number and text).

Font Effects tab: Font color Dark Blue 1.

Borders tab: All four Borders; Padding set at 0.02” on all sides; Line: Style Continuous, Color Black, Width Hairline.

Create a Character Style named _My Red.

Organizer tab: Name _My Red.

Font Effects tab: Font color Red.

Other tabs the same as _My Blue.

Modify List Style Numbering ABC.

Position tab.

Level 1: Aligned at 0.25”; Number Alignment Left; Numering followed by Tab stop; Tab stop at 0.55”; Indent at 0.55”.

Level 2: Aligned at 0.52”; Number Alignment Left; Numbering followed by Tab Stop; Tab stop at 0.90”; Indent at 0.90”.

Customize tab.

Level 1: Number A,B,C; Start at 1; Charater style _My Red; Show sublevels 1; Separater area blank.

Level 2: Same as Level 1 except Character style _My Blue.

Create a Paragraph Style named _My Text Body List Black.

Font tab: Style Bold.

Font Effects tab: Font color Automatic.

Outline & List tab: List Style Numbering ABC

Create a Paragraph Style named _My Text Body List Blue.

Font tab: Style Bold.

Font Effects tab: Font color Light Blue 1.

Outline & List tab: List Style Numbering ABC

The Paragaph Styles make both number and text bold and color the text. The Paragraph Styles also set the List Style.

The List Style levels set the positions and sublevels. The List Style levels also set the Character Styles.

The Character Styles color the numbers and create the borders for the numbers.

On a personal note, I think you are trying to make too many different types of lists. You will probably end up with many custom styles that are hard to keep organized.

The designs of the list you are trying to make are more complicated than they need to be. The more complicated they are the more conflicts will arise when setting attributes in the different dialogs that interact with each other.

@TXDon : thanks so much for your help. I appreciate and am at awe seeing the great length to which you went in trying to reproduce the issue.

But unfortunately I have no idea what your long list of style effects is supposed to tell me.

Is this a bug I discovered ?

I don’t know why you are saying that. I am trying just to fix the problem with this one list.
(I don’t have multiple lists in multiple different colors. The other images in my OP are only there to demonstrate that other colors do work.)

Just for testing I simplified the list, but it still happens with just a single level, look:

As soon as I bolden “dogs”, the border box disappears:

[quote=“libretist, post:5, topic:99735, full:true”]
@TXDon : thanks so much for your help. I appreciate and am at awe seeing the great length to which you went in trying to reproduce the issue.

But unfortunately I have no idea what your long list of style effects is supposed to tell me.

Is this a bug I discovered ?

I don’t think there is a bug. Just conflict between settings in different dialogs.

I don’t know the steps you are taking to make the list you display. Are you using a list style from one of the toolbars or from the List Style area in the Sidebar? Are you linking a list style in the List Style area of the Sidebar to a character style in the Character style of the Sidebar? Are you using a paragraph style in the Paragraph Styles area of the Sidebar to link to a list style in the List Styles area of the Sidebar?

As far as trying to understand my instructions, I tried to describe them in a short post; detailed instructions would take pages. Just try to work through what I posted slowly a step at a time. Try to match each step in your document before going to the next step.

Go to the Character Style area of the Sidebar first. Right click and select New… Work through the tabs as described, slowly step by step. Do this a second time for the other character style.

Then, go to the List Styles area of the Sidebar. Right click on Numbering 123 and select Modify… Work through the tabs and levels as described, slowly step by step.

Finally, go to the Paragraph Area in the Sidebar. Right click on the Text Body paragraph style and select New… Work through the steps tab by tab for the first paragraph style. Then, right click on the Text Body paragraph style again and select New… to create the other new paragraph style. Again, try to work through each step on each tab before going to the next step.

If you have any trouble with a step, stop and let me know what step you are on. I’ll try to work you through that step.

I don’t know why you are saying that. I am trying just to fix the problem with this one list.
(I don’t have multiple lists in multiple different colors. The other images in my OP are only there to demonstrate that other colors do work.)

I’m sorry, I thought this list and the others in your other posts were all going into the same document.

I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that my “solution” was wrong. By using two paragraph styles, I was making two two lists look as though they were one. You could make two character styles: one red and one blue. Each character style could be used with a different level in a list. After making the list in the document, however, you would need to use direct formatting to change the look of the text only in one of the levels.

You could set up another Character Style to avoid direct formatting.

I couldn’t get my list to make the border around the list number disappear. Are you using a space or a tab? If you use a tab, try increasing the Tab stop at spacing in the Position tab of the List Style dialog.

@libretist
Sometimes adding a non-formatted, non-styled space before item text cures the border issue. I experimented with spaces of various width at U+2000-… but this was not conclusive. ZWSP (zero-width space) or joiners don’t work either. It seems the ordinary space is the most likely to make the border reappear. I know it causes misalignment and can be visible if you have an aligned paragraph below. Use it as a workaround when everything else fails.