Sum of Two Cells Divided by 2 Does Not Equal Calc Output

Hello,

I’m sure I’ve done this same type of calculation in other spreadsheets, but, for some reason, the Calc output is mathematically incorrect. So I’m at a loss.

Anyway, here’s my situation:

I have a single cell that is to display the sum of two other cells divided by 2. Specifically…

C2 = 1.7 … C3 = 2.2 … C2+C3 = 3.9 … 3.9 / 2 = 1.95.

Here’s the syntax: (D3=)C2+C3/2. The calculated output in D3, however, is 2.8, not 1.95 (well, actually 2, due to the cell setting). Clearly this is not correct. (Parentheses not actually part of the calculation; added to show that I assigned that calculation to cell D3.)

I must just be missing something, but I cannot see where.

I’d be grateful for suggestions as to where to start looking for my error.

Thank you!

C2 = 1.7 … C3 = 2.2 … C2+C3 = 3.9 … 3.9 / 2 = 1.95.

(D3=)C2+C3/2

But C2+C3/2 is not (C2+C3)/2 :wink:

Ahhh…so it is (not…lol). Thank you!

Hello

you want =(C2+C3)/2 but you calculate =C2+C3/2 (or vice versa, not quite clear) and fundamental mathematical precedence rules state that multiplication and division take precedence over addition and subtraction an thus 1.7 + 2.2 / 2 = 1.7 + 1.1 = 2.8 is absolutely correct (or (1.7 + 2.2) / 2 = 3.9 / 2 = 1.95 is correct, since parenthesis overrule precedence rules).

Hope that helps.

If the answer helped you to solve your problem, please click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer.

I knew it was a simple in-my-brain fix. Thank you for the detailed explanation!