Switch from 1 column to 2 columns in a textdocument

hello there

i have a textdocument, where i need to switch from a 1 column layout to a 2 column layout. if its possible within the same page, if not; page 1 could be 1 column and page 2 could be 2 column. but i need to be able to switch back and forth again within the document, as its multiple pages long.

is this possible, and if so, where can i do this? i couldnt manage to do it. when i try to do it in “format”-> “columns (spalten)” it doesnt change anything.

cheers,
rame

LO: 24.8.0.3

Format>PageStyle… tab [Columns]
https://help.libreoffice.org/24.2/en-US/text/swriter/guide/pagestyles.html?DbPAR=WRITER#bm_id7071138

1 Like

hey there, i do have a question:

i have some difficulties with the setting up page styles.:
i created a “first page” style, that should function as a cover with unique header and footer options/margins. then i created a new “1 column” page style, with slightly different header, footer and page margin options. when i insert a page break after the second page (1 column), it’s looking all messed up and when i double click the “1 column” page style to apply that style to this page, it also applies it to my first page, which should have the “first page” style.

im kind of stuck and a little frustraded, as things happen and i dont know why they happen. its just very difficult to me.

if someone could point me in the right direction or share a super simple page style tutorial for a beginner, that would be awesome.

thank you guys for the help

A page style applies to all pages between “boundaries”. These “boundaries” are created by special page breaks, not the ordinary Ctrl+Enter.

You mus Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break to access a dialog allowing you to specify which page style becomes active after the break.

In the same dialog, you can also restart the page number in caste your cover is not numbered and you want to start to page 1 after it.

Boundaries can also be automatically generated when you apply specific paragraph styles. These boundaries are defined by the Text Flow properties in paragraph styles.

thank you. there is still a problem with my columns. i have a “1-column” page style, where in the page style it is set to 1 column. when i apply “Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break`” and for the next page style i select “1-column”, the next page still has 2 columns and not 1 like in the page style defined. do i have to manually insert a section and select 1 column every time i have na new page?

@RaMe

What is the problem?

1 to 2.odt (75,3 KB)

Is the page break inside the section? If so, the section continues on next page. To revert to 1-column (defined by the page style), continue your text outside the section, below it.

I suspect the various visual hints available in the View menu are not enable. The most important are the boundaries and formatting marks. They help you to spot immediately what is in your document and where. Keep them always enabled; they don’t print.

A page style applies to full page. You define the base number of columns in the Columns tab.

When part of page requires a different number of columns, Insert>Section. Don’t forget to tick Evenly distribute contents to all columns in Columns tab (Options).

Existing text can be quickly converted to multi-column:

• select text
  • Insert>Section

PS: whan asking here, always mention OS name, LO version and save format due to various differences between platforms and format.

1 Like

thanks for your replys and PS.
i will try that out and report back.