System requirement..?

Hello.

I use Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan and wish to install & use LibreOffice.

I see the index library of “older” LibreOffice versions.

However, for want of repeatedly downloading and trying different versions (by luck) I’d be grateful for advice on the latest version suitable for my OS.

Thank you.

https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/system-requirements/

• LibreOffice 4.3 can still run on OS X 10.6+, but please understand that this support ended when 4.3 was retired on May 27, 2015.

The latest (best) version of 4.3. for the Mac is Index of /libreoffice/old/4.3.7.2/mac

You tagged base. This means you want to work with databases through the Base component front-end. In this case some restrictions apply, notably the one mentioned by @Villeroy related to JRE.

But, if you erroneously tagged your question, confusing it with common, asking a general question, here are some elements:

• if you are starting with LO (discovery “flight”) and don’t intend, at least initially, to use advanced features like interacting with DB or programming macros, there is no need to install anything beyond what is provided by the installer
  • the MacOS version has been tested by many Mac users and seems to be as stable as other platforms (please Mac users, elaborate on my statement if I am too optimistic)
  • recent LO releases are numbered yy.mm.x.y.z where yy=year (last 2 digits), mm=2 or 8 (February or August), x=public release sequence, y and z=patch sequence
    From a practical point of view, consider x=0 or 1 as candidate releases (not fully “production-approved”). Consequently, if you’re looking for stable, debugged and “production-ready” applications, install only releases with x >= 2

Consequently 24.2.5.x should be good.

Very important: don’t dive “naked” into LO; you’ll soon get deceived and will be tempted to throw away the suite. LO is different from M$ Office; it is based on different principles. If you follow your present routine unchanged, you’ll meet difficulties and will accuse LO of being a piece of crap.

To avoid this, I recommend you download and read the various guides available at English documentation | LibreOffice Documentation - LibreOffice User Guides

Hello and thank you for the prompt follow-up.

I had downloaded and was trying different version and for your information the 6.4.7.2 is also compatible

All the best.

The detailed system requirements are referenced at the bottom of the “System Requirements” page mentioned by @Villeroy - see “extended System Requirements on the TDF Wiki”. There you may find, that OS X 10.11 El Capitan is supported by version 7.2.7.2. The download links are also available there.