Table of Contents Reformatting Itself

I’m having a bizarre problem with the TOC. I had my chapters index entries set level 1, the sections inside the chapters to level 2. I set up the indentation on level 2, saved and they looked great. When I re-opened the file, they had all reset themselves. 1 had become 2, and 2 had become 3 (but only in some places). I fixed them, saved, closed, reopened. Now some places have level 4, level 5… just totally random levels all over the place. The indents are a total mess and it seems pointless to try and re-save again. Any idea what is going on here? I’m tempted to scrap the TOC and just paste the thing in place.

As soon as the word “bizarre” appears in connection with an LO problem you will be advised in the following way:-

A corrupt profile can cause such problems. Fortunately, it is easy to fix (and to reverse):

Re-Setting the User Profile:

1. Close down LO/OO + the Quickstarter
  2. Go to your profile
  3. Rename the folder
  4. Restart the program

(this re-creates a default Profile)
  5. Restart LO & try again

If this helps then please tick the answer (:heavy_check_mark:).

This did not work for my bizarre situation (LO v6.0.7.3 on ubuntu.18.04.4), which involves the table TOC extending downward to swallow up one line of content/header after each save/re-open. It is as if the TOC is a vacuum (or black hole) that swallows up the content. If I save/re-open enough times, then all the content below the TOC will disappear into the TOC.