Tables in Writer - Default Font

Using Tools/Options/LibreOffice Writer/Basic Fonts(Western) I have set all selections to Calibri 12 pt. In Styles/Paragraph Styles the default is also set to Calibri. However, whenever I create a table in Writer using Default Table Style the default font is Liberation Serif. If there is a place to set the default font specifically for Tables, I can’t find it.

Therefore, in a new document Default paragraph style will also be set to Calibri 12 pt and so will Table Contents

In an existing document, if the Table Contents paragraph style has been manually changed to a different font then the parent-child relationship will be broken, even if set back to the same font as the parent style (Default paragraph style). What you need to do then is in the sidebar, right click Table Contents paragraph style and select Edit style. Select the Font tab and click the button Reset to Parent, OK.

This answer does not work. Under Tools/Options/LibreOffice Writer/Basic Fonts, I’ve set all fonts to Calibri 12 pt. When I create a new document, insert a table, and type text into that table using Default Table Style, the font of the table text is actually Liberation Serif, not Calibri.

If you click File - Templates - Manage templates, does any of the templates shown have a green tick in the corner? If so, that has been set as default template and will need to be edited to reset Default Table Style to parent.

No, no green ticks. Using V24.8.12, but same behavior back to V7.

I recommend not to use Table styles, they use macros to enforce pre-determined styling that will always revert to that styling. Even if the table is manually formatted, simply adding a new row will revert all the styling in the table back to that defined by the table style.

I always use style None for tables. To convert from a styled table to None, I would select Table > Convert > Table to Text followed by Table > Convert > Text to Table and ensure None is chosen. You could apply Default Table Style at this point and untick Font but you would be better off creating your own table style instead.
ModifyTextToTable

Modify paragraph styles “Table Contents” and “Table Heading”.
Don’t use table styles. They are poorly implemented. A table style applies hard formatting by means of macro code.

It appears ErnestAl & Andreas have identified the source of the problem and the solution: for new documents, using Styles/None for Tables eliminates the problem.

For existing documents, I can find no way to use any of the style dialogs to change the table style from Default to None; None doesn’t seem to be a choice anywhere except when creating a new table. Selecting either the table in question or the entire document then using the Style drop-down to change the table style to Default Paragraph doesn’t eliminate the rogue font. I did not test ErnestAl’s table>text>table method for eliminating the table style; I have too many multi-table documents with this problem. I found a faster work-around that’s good enough for me: save the file in Word 2010-365 format, then re-save back to odt. For the few files I’ve tested this changes the Table Style to a mixture of Table Contents and Default Paragraph, both of which assign the correct font when new rows or columns are added to an existing table. (If I care to, with this re-saved document I can also use the Style drop-down to change the style to Default Paragraph and it works, unlike the case with the original odt document.)

Thanks much for the help; this one was driving me nuts.

(PS I’m not a programmer but the fact that “Default Table Style” doesn’t correctly handle the default font that’s been set in Tools/Options seems like a bug to me.)

Keith

Be aware that by doing so you create other problems: DOC is an alien format which is not the same as ODF. Consequently many formatting directives must be approximated to supported features. When you save back to .odt, you meet other approximations because not all DOC directives are supported in ODF. In the end, your round trio is not idempotent and your document structure is badly damaged.

For example, all character styles are wiped out and replaced by direct formatting. Word has no notion of page styles. Page changes are replaced by “equivalent” construct in Word and when you come back, these end up very frequently in one page style per page with explicit page break added in between. And I don’t speak of chapter or list numbering.

Your ugly workaround should be reserved for dependable scratch documents. Otherwise long-term maintained documents will behave strangely with successive edit sessions and it is almost impossible to rebuild &a sound structure (except through pasting unformatted text into a blank document and restyling/formatting everything).

indeed, Dependency tree for Bug 107553
=> 107555 – Apply the 'Default Style' table style to newly inserted tables