Text Cursor - How can it be made bigger?

The text cursor in Libre Office Writer is quite small, and it would be HUGELY helpful to make it more visible. I’ve used LO Writer for a number of years, and have seen some coding suggestions from six years ago, but the suggestions didn’t really provide the steps necessary to access and edit the code (I think it is gtk).

From searching online, it appears the tiny text cursor size is a pretty common issue with many users, so I’m hopeful a solution has been found over the past 6 years.

I’m running Linux Mint 21 on a Dell Lattitude laptop. Everything is updated and current.

Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4
Calc: threaded

Here is the “old solution” I found and tried… unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to work any longer:

It notes: "Use the following command (note I used the Linux terminal function). Type in:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-size 24

Note: 24 is the default cursor size, in pixels, for an Ubuntu desktop.
Following pixel values can be inserted to increase the cursor size:

• 24: Default
  • 32: Medium
  • 48: Large
  • 64: Larger
  • 96: Largest

Restart your system for these changes to take effect.

Thank you in advance for your time and response.

Without restarting anything, I get a bigger mouse cursor.

but I think this is not the text cursor meant by the TO. That would be the thin line in the text, where characters are inserted.

Did you see this post on Linux Mint forum, https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=387135

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I did see https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=387135, and tried it, but due to my lack of Linux / Libre experience, I tried using the command in the Linux terminal, which did not work as it couldn’t find the folder or file.

This time, I searched out a couple set of instructions online on how to create the gtk.css file, see 4 Useful Commands to Create New Files in Linux, then >>> opened the Linux Home directory >> .config folder >>> found the gtk-3.0 folder >> then created a file titled gtk.css (as the directions instructed) >> then edited the file adding in * { -GtkWidget-cursor-aspect-ratio: 0.2; } >>> restarted the computer >>> Voila!!! the cursor is no longer a hairline, but visible.

Thank you EarnestAI for pointing me back to those instructions.

So many instructions for all things Linux-oriented assume that people know the all appropriate steps and coding, and so they jump to the final solution. Having the elementary, initial steps included, for those of us still learning, is hugely helpful.

Thank you all again for your time and help solve this newest challenge. God is gracious, even to the relative novices.

Correct, this is the text cursor, the very thin, little vertical line where characters are inserted. Thanks for your thinks on this.