Text in cells is not wrapping by increasing cell vertical size

I am building a very simple spreadsheet. I want the text in the cells in one column to wrap and adjust the vertical size on text that exceeds the width of the cells. I’ve tried Format Cells > Alignment > Wrap text automatically, but the text only extends to the end of the cell with a > and the cell height does not expand to finish the text. I have another spreadsheet where I can accomplish this and have poured through the settings and I can’t find any difference in the settings. What am I missing?

Can you upload an ODF type sample file here?

A cell can not increase, if the containing row is fixed. So set optimal row height (in context menu of a marked row).

1 Like

The file in question is LibreOffice ODS. Can I just save it as ODF for you? Then, how do I send it to you?
Thanks.

Use .ods as ODF mean Open Document Format, so all files wich belong to Open/LibreOffice odt ods odp …

Hi Wanderer. I’ve attached a sheet that demonstrates the expansion of cells that I referred to. The small file, also attached, demonstrates the inability to enlarge. Thanks for your help.

Gil

Test cell expansion.ods (20.3 KB)

LAPTOP CLEANUP PRGRESS.ods (13.8 KB)

Select the rows and then click Format > Rows> Optimal Row Height and OK the dialogue box that appears.

I had done this but I want each row to be only as large (deep) as is required to contain the specific content in that row.

Did you enter a number in the dialogue as well as tick it, or did you leave it at 0.00?
CalcRowOptimalHeight

BTW don’t select the whole spreadsheet; there was an issue where if every cell was set to Optimal Height the cell recalculations every time slowed Cal down significantly. I don’t know if is has been fixed yet.

! I knew it could be done but I just couldn’t do the right thing. I thought I had but I guess not. Thanks very much!