Text Style Background Color bleeds through Caption Frame

This is actually a question, though to me its a bug, since I would be forced to override a template for just one sub-document to get the affect I want, which to me should be the default. The problem is, if I have a text that has been highlighted for affect, the background color bleeds though any inserted caption frame. As can be seen in the below example the effect looks rather odd. Is this the correct behavior? I assume this can be overridden (I have not tried yet) by the caption frame style to make its background opaque. See below.

What is to be seen?

Otherwise, you can improve your document by setting its language to English to avoid false misspelling notification (the wavy red underline).

What I have done in the meantime is made the default frame style in my template opaque white. Though I can think of a few instances where this might become a problem in the future, I can put up with this for now.

@ajlittoz, do not worry about the red wiggly lines. The case in point is the light blue color that bleeds into the frame background, see where Map 3 is? There are two backgrounds here, one for the text which has the color and apparently the frame background which is set to transparent.

I went through your questions to see if I missed one of them, but no (apart from the fact I didn’t receive your bounce notification due to a bug on this site). The map above is #5, not #3. Is it a typo, or is the background colour so light that it is difficult to render on my LCD screen. If you can, make your picture more demonstrative by using a highly saturated colour.

Yeah, the Map number should be 5, not 3, am I bad. Will post a better pic in a sec.

I suppose that your concern is that having a transparent object inside another non-transparent object, and having that inner transparent object see through the outer one, seems incorrect to you? So that you expect the inner transparent object to show you the outer’s background, not the document’s outermost?

(Do you have a frame inside a frame?)

My concern is, it was a behavior I was not expecting (non-intuitive). I guess my assumption is that changing the background of the text should not bleed through into another object. But again, it could be my lack of understanding of the overall design is of the application and what level of expectation I should have for it working the way it does. Does that make any sense? Since I have not seen any style hierarchy and setting chart in the Writers Guide, I guess I just do not know what I should expect… :o/

Frame inside a frame. The text you see is just in the frame of the regular document. The image is inside a caption frame, which you get for free, so I assume these sit on top of the document text frame and since it has background set to transparent I am seeing the color bleed through…

What is “the frame of the regular document” compared to “a caption frame, which you get for free”? Please don’t invent terms that are not part of Writer terminology. If you wanted to tell that you consider page’s text body as “frame of the regular document”, please don’t.

Okay, I guess I meant the page frame, that is what holds the text in this case. There is an image with a caption frame around in that frame. I guess the hierarchy is: page frame->caption frame->image ??? That is, the image is on the top, followed by the caption frame and finally the page frame?

This is intended behaviour.

As already alluded to in the comments, it is a question of stacking elements one above the others.

At the lowest level you have the page style with its background. Above, there is the text flow (functionally part of the page text area, but anyway above the page background) made of paragraphs, some of them with a background.

You then insert an image which is a frame anchored somewhere (usual cases are character and paragraph). Chracter anchored objects participate in text flow while paragraph anchored objects are outside text flow. For the latter ones, the Wrap property defines how pbject and textflow interact. In case of Trough mode, text flows as if the object was not there. In all other cases, text will flow around the object in various ways.

Your image is a frame (or included in an outer frame when there is a caption). By default, frames are transparent because their Area attribure is set to None. Consequently, you see paragraph or page background through them. This is no accidental bleed.

To prevent this see-through effect, you either play with the image frame itself, then the caption will have the same characteristics as the main text flow, or, if you want to emphasise bothe the image and its caption, you play with the outer caption frame (no need to change anything, but for special effects, on the image frame).

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

I agree with this, but, it would be nice for a full explanation of it in the documentation somewhere (e.g. Writers Guide, appendix?) Marking solved. Thank you!

My desired solution was the change the default behavior for frames (in frame styles) to have a white background in my template, that seems to do the trick.