Text/table/image in DOCX file not visible in LO (but OK in AOO and Word)

Version: 7.2.3.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d166454616c1632304285822f9c83ce2e660fd92
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

Trying to open a received DOCX file with a kind of letterhead containing some text, an image and a table, I see nothing. When opening in MS Word 2016 (well, no surprise) and in Apache OpenOffice 4.2.0 (for the reference, it is an ancient development build dating back to 2015 or so), the letterhead is fine.

I have checked the view settings and made sure that such things as images and tables are ticked to be displayed (I will show it in a screenshot below). Am I missing a setting/option that needs to be checked? Any other thing to check?

Here is a test file:

testcase.DOCX (36.9 KB)

a screenshot from LibreOffice:

a screenshot from Apache OpenOffice:

a screenshot from MS Word:

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 also displays it correctly, but the Navigator doesn’t list the offending OLE object. I played with the transparency settings in Libre, and that didn’t have any effect. Definitely something to report.

Thanks for confirming. I needed it, I mean, I needed to know that the problem is not as usual (i. e. between the display and the keyboard :slight_smile: ). I will report it.

You have an empty OLE object named Object1 (meaning it bears no user-defined name) on top of your letterhead. It is opaque with wrap property set to Thru (with Allow overlap). Consequently it hides everything below it.

If this object has no significance, delete it from the Navigator in the side pane.

Perhaps investigate to discover how it appeared in the document.

PS: suggestions for improvement

The horizontal line below the letter head is a drawing object. It would be much better to provide it as a bottom border in the paragraph above (as an attribute of the “Soviet” paragraph). Thus you’ll become immune to edit hazards.
Also avoid vertically spacing with empty paragraphs. Space above and below are properties of a paragraph and should be specified through the Indents & Spacing tab of its style or format.

Thank you for your reply. However, I am not in control of creating this document (and other similar ones) and, respectively, cannot improve the process.

The key issue is that a file displayed fine in MS Word and AOO is not so fine in LibreOffice. I tried to figure out if there is a setting that can be changed. Deleting the OLE object does help, thanks (and I will mark it as a solution)! However, since the object is no hindrance in AOO, I would cautiously suggest that there is something to improve on the LibreOffice side. An ordinary user should just open a document and see its contents as (more or less) seen in the program that was used to create the document.

Developers welcome test cases submitted to their wisdom. Open a bug report on https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/ and attach your sample file to it. When done, reference the bug report in a comment here with a link in the form tdf#<bug_number>.

2 Likes