The "jump-to" location when clicking a heading in the navigation pane

If anyone thinks of a better title for this, please do say. :slightly_smiling_face:

When I click on a heading in the nav pane, it positions the cursor next to the correct heading just fine, but it displays that spot at least halfway down the page/screen or more.

Is there any way to get it to display the jumped-to heading at the top of the page/screen?

Trying to illustrate…

What it does (A, B etc. are headings; the one in bold italics is the one selected in the nav pane):
– top of page/screen –
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
– bottom of page/screen –

What I’d like it to do:
– top of page/screen –
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
– bottom of page/screen –

That (heading at the top of screen) is exactly what I get in Writer (added later) version 7.1.7.2 on Windows 6.3.
Never used the Navigator in Calc (I will have to take a class on that). :slight_smile:

Should have mentioned I’m up to date (7.2.2.2).

Could something have gone awry between 7.1.7.2 and 7.2.2.2?

I’ve noticed this problem forever-ish in Calc, actually not sure it’s been a problem that long in Writer.

When you say it’s exactly what you get in 7.1.7.2, do you mean Calc, Writer, or both?

Try to reset your user profil.

First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki

LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki

I hadn’t gotten as far as concluding it’s a bug, necessarily (vs. maybe a setting, or I’m doing something wrong), but will try resetting.

I followed the instructions to use Help > “Restart in Safe Mode” from the menu.

The same thing is still happening, with the nav “jump to” spot not being at the top of the page.

Now I don’t know how to get out of Safe Mode. This page:
https://help.libreoffice.org/7.0/en-US/text/shared/01/profile_safe_mode.html
says there should be a Help menu item “Restart in Normal Mode,” but there’s not.

Edited - oh wait, never mind, it doesn’t say that at all, it says that option’s in the dialog you get when you enter Safe mode.

Do I just close and restart normally, I suppose?

(later) Okay, fixed, replaced “user” folder with the pre-safe-mode backup, all’s well.

Anyway, that UserProfile page says my profile’s not the problem, since it behaves the same in Safe Mode. Any other ideas?

instructions60pct

On my computer, LO 7.1.5.2 double-click on Navigator heading opens page with heading at top; the same file on same computer in 7.2.2.2 opens page with heading in the middle.

I am ambivalent about whether this is a problem. Sometimes, I just need to go exactly to that heading, other times I’m looking to see if there is sufficient connection between this and the previous block of text.

I see your point, but I suppose I think it makes more sense for the default to be the other way around. I’m clicking something to tell it to go to a specific spot. It seems more natural to me to put that spot at the top of the page. Then if I want to see something else, I can scroll a little.

What should I do? Submit it as a “bug”? Shut up and go away?

It depends on how strongly you feel about it.
As long as it doesn’t default to the bottom of the page (like Windows File Explorer) I am happy.